When should I start cloths shopping??

Options
To All my Pals! Ladies and Gentleman's.... I need ya' opinion! 
I started my weight loss journey back in Jan/2011, I used to wear size 19/20 pants and 2x shirts. I have lost  47lbs so far (I'm not stopping) and my cloths are fitting noticeably big. From what I window shop I can fit 14/16 pants and L/XL shirts. When is it a good time to buy cloths with out thinking of regretting it???? Please honest Opinions! When I say regretting it I mean the money part of it! I really can't wait to go cloths shopping! ;) 

URL http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/view/3423972

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I finally did when I put the pants on and they fell down. My family were telling me I looked sick. Now that my clothes fit. I look pretty good for 55.
  • I finally did when I put the pants on and they fell down. My family were telling me I looked sick. Now that my clothes fit. I look pretty good for 55.

I was just going to say, you'll reach the point where you'll just say to yourself, "Yep, it's time."
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Ask friends and family for some old clothes or go thrift shopping to tie you over!
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you're not done losing, but you need clothes that fit, I would just go to Goodwill or Salvation Army or a similar store. If you go to a location in a "nice" area of town, they tend to have the name brand clothes and I've found many an item with the tags still on!

And to help others, you can of course donate the clothing that you can no longer wear. :) Its a little more work shopping second hand, but if you feel like in a few months, you won't be able to wear it anymore, you might as well get cute stuff without paying big bucks. Save the big spending for when you hit your goal weight!
  • IamLyssa
    IamLyssa Posts: 21
    Options
    I think you should go clothes shopping @ the size you are now. It feels good to go shopping and buy some new things. I'm not saying go all out. Just buy some things. It will make you feel great and it will motivate you to keep going. I go all the time to the store and try things on. If i really like something i buy it, and sometimes i will buy something in a smaller size and try it on every week. At least for me, clothes are such a good motivation to keep going! congrats on your success so far!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    See if you have a local http://www.freecycle.org/ ......

You can ask for what you need and sometimes get what you need for free just have to pick up and also can give things to others who want/need your stuff. I think its so much better then donating to thrift stores who charge way too much for used clothing items.
  • Cadenpet
    Cadenpet Posts: 79
    Options
    Yeah when you have to hold your pants up to bend over or do anything you know its time.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'd but it once the big clothes look REALLY bad. Just don't buy too many. Also, wearing clothes that fit will really show how much you;ve lost and how good you are looking. :)
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    I think buying a few new items keeps me focused!!!! I have only dropped one size but I purchased a cpl pairs of capris and I think money wise it is worth it to feel better in my clothes!!!!
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you feel guilty I would just buy one outfit that fits nice and makes you feel good!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You always have fleabay when the ones you buy tomorrow are too big! :)
  • JENNIFER41412
    JENNIFER41412 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    if it would help boost your confidence you should get some new things but shop on clearance and get things that will shrink with you like tights/leggings/jeggings. once you reach your goal weight than you should spurge and go all out!
  • electromg
    electromg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You should go to the goodwill or salvation army. There's a lot of good stuff there if you don't mind spending some time. I'm sure it depends on your area too. Where I live, everyone is ALL about the thrift store shopping. Sometimes there are sales.
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ask friends and family for some old clothes or go thrift shopping to tie you over!

I completely agree. I have bought anything additinal I need during my weight loss from the thrift store or yard sales. I also got some bras from my mother b/c they were to big for her, but they fit me. :)

I figure here soon I will be needing some new shorts b/c the ones I am in are getting WAY to big. So I will go to the thrift store to get some more.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you're not done losing, but you need clothes that fit, I would just go to Goodwill or Salvation Army or a similar store. If you go to a location in a "nice" area of town, they tend to have the name brand clothes and I've found many an item with the tags still on!

And to help others, you can of course donate the clothing that you can no longer wear. :) Its a little more work shopping second hand, but if you feel like in a few months, you won't be able to wear it anymore, you might as well get cute stuff without paying big bucks. Save the big spending for when you hit your goal weight!
    This is exactly what I did in the beginning and for most of my weight loss, with the occasional new outfit tossed in when I had somewhere nice to go. I lost 10lbs a month for the first seven months which basically was a size every few months in the beginning. At 300lbs I was a 26 at 199lbs I was a 14. I did a lot of goodwill jeans.

When I had my weight off for one year it just happened to coincide with my 40th birthday so I asked my hubby for a free for shopping spree. I spent about $600 and had a blast.
  • heather0416
    heather0416 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i bought a few shirts and a few pairs of shorts.. just so i had some things that fit me for summer. When i lose more weight I will go and buy new things that fit me. I dont spend a bunch on clothes and I dont go too crazy because I dont plan on wearing them for more than 2 months or so.. but I like to have some clothes that fit me because i worked hard to get where im at and I want to feel good about myself.. so I get a few cute things that fit.. for awhile:) congrats on your weight loss btw!!
  • memieof3
    memieof3 Posts: 33
    Options
    I usually wear skirts or dresses they can be worn younger without falling off. It is cost-effective to pick the clothes that you like and have them taken in by a stremstress. I also to goodwill.
  • puertoricanlady18
    puertoricanlady18 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    TODAY WAS A GOOD DAY FOR ME! I HAVE A CONCERT (KANYE WEST FT. KID CUDI) TO GO TO IN A FEW HRS BUT BESIDES THAT I TOOK EVERY BODIES ADVICE AND BOUGHT A FEW CLOTHS.... FUNNY STORY ALL SALES ITEM WERE THE SIZE I USED TO WEAR ... LOL BUT I MANAGE TO FIND PANTS IN MY SIZE FOR $$5.00 AND I BOUGHT A FEW SHIRTS! I WAS WEIRD LOOKING FOR A DIFFERENT SIZE MY EYES WOULD GO STRAIGHT TO MY OLD SIZE ...LOL I FEEL SO PROUD OF MYSELF!!! :) THANKS EVERYDODY FOR ALL THE COMMENTS AND ADVISES!!! xoxo
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have lost a size or two and have not yet bought any new clothes. It is becoming a good problem. I would like to loose 10 more pounds and get in better shape so hope to go down at least one more size. Thanks for this topic. Think I might have to go out and buy some new clothes now.