Sad+frust+feeling down

Options
Hello guys. Here's the problems. I've loss 25kg yet I still don't achieve my normal BMI. I have a weight plateau for months. I even stopped dieting and exercise for more than 6 months. Now I try to start with Atkins. But I don't see much weight reduction.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Well to lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. There's no need for fad diets and gimmicks. For weight loss - eat at a calorie deficit. Consume less calories then you burn. Just because you are eating Atkins doesn't automatically mean you will lose weight. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit . if you are not at a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight no matter what diet you are on.
  • qiaralim
    qiaralim Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Well to lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. There's no need for fad diets and gimmicks. For weight loss - eat at a calorie deficit. Consume less calories then you burn. Just because you are eating Atkins doesn't automatically mean you will lose weight. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit . if you are not at a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight no matter what diet you are on.
    I don't eat too much per serving. And I don't even eat snacks. so my calories should be okay
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you need to measure what you consume. use a kitchen scale
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose? By your profile pic, you seem to be quite slim already. If you don't like your body, think about a recomp. There's a thread running called-"Recomposition:maintaining weight while losing fat" by usmcmp. Do a search.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much. Weigh your food.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose? By your profile pic, you seem to be quite slim already. If you don't like your body, think about a recomp...

Agree with snowflake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose? By your profile pic, you seem to be quite slim already. If you don't like your body, think about a recomp. There's a thread running called-"Recomposition:maintaining weight while losing fat" by usmcmp. Do a search.

@qiaralim - is your profile picture current? Here's that thread about recomp: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    qiaralim wrote: »
    I don't eat too much per serving. And I don't even eat snacks. so my calories should be okay

You can't possibly know that for sure if you don't weigh and log your food. Instead of going to atkins, weigh yourself and re-do your goals. Eat what it says. Give it 3-4 weeks then weigh again. I'm sure you probably were doing great, but quitting logging and exercising for 6 months certainly didn't result in any weight loss. Get back to it girl, and work for it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Studies have shown that people are terrible at estimating calories.
  • qiaralim
    Options

I still don't achieve normal BMI
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    not a fan of bmi
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My BMI will never be "in range" unless I lose 40 more pounds. I don't think that's reasonable for me to shoot for. I'm in the "overweight" range now and I'm okay with that. Besides, the BMI number doesn't work for everyone. Do a little research and you will find out the shortcomings of the BMI formula.
  • lauralynham656
    lauralynham656 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on BMI. I dont even know what mine is lol. You said in the title your feeling down - keep an eye on that. If your very low in mood it can effect how your body motabilizes energy and may store extra fat. Remember healthy mind, healthy body and vise versa. And don't loose sight on how far you've come - you've lost 25kg! I have such admiration for you
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hello guys. Here's the problems. I've loss 25kg yet I still don't achieve my normal BMI. I have a weight plateau for months. I even stopped dieting and exercise for more than 6 months. Now I try to start with Atkins. But I don't see much weight reduction.

What is your height, weight, activity level?
    If you are less than 50 lbs or 22 kg over the normal bmi range for your height than .5 lbs to 1 lb a week (.23 kg to .45 kg) is a good reasonable rate of loss. If you are not really overweight at all then try recomposition.
    You don't have to do a special diet. Input your information into MFP and get a calorie goal. Eat that number of calories. Log everything you eat and drink as accurately as you can. A food scale is a very useful tool. If you exercise eat some of the calories you earn from exercise.
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options

BMI is flawed, don't follow it, don't even think about it.

*I* am 6'2" and currently weigh 298lbs. According to the BMI (and rightly so) I'm OBESE.

I have a buddy who's 5'6" and *lean*. I mean, ripped abs, pects, everything. His body fat is around 17%. But, because muscle weighs more than fat, he's WAY beyond the "average" weight and his BMI status is the *same* as mine: Obese.

I'll let that sink in for a minute.

BMI = Big (pile of) Manure In (the field)

If you want to know your % of fat, that's good, go with that. There are devices that can give you a semi to fully accurate measure, depending on which you use.

Hydrostatic Weighing is the most accurate and the hardest to deal with (especially if you don't like being underwater). However, there are plenty of devices out there that, on the average will give you a fairly accurate read.

And here's one more thing for you to consider: You're female. Are you considering children in your future? Don't shoot for anything lower than 15% body fat, as it could cause complications during pregnancy.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

"should"?!?!

That means you're not logging your intake.
    You need to be in deficit to lose weight. What you eat and when you eat doesn't matter. Calories in/calories out does.
  • qiaralim
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

"should"?!?!

You need to be in deficit to lose weight. What you eat and when you eat doesn't matter. Calories in/calories out does.

well i key in my food intakes last night and it was less than 1200 kcal???
  • qiaralim
    Options
    BinaryFu wrote: »

*I* am 6'2" and currently weigh 298lbs. According to the BMI (and rightly so) I'm OBESE.

I have a buddy who's 5'6" and *lean*. I mean, ripped abs, pects, everything. His body fat is around 17%. But, because muscle weighs more than fat, he's WAY beyond the "average" weight and his BMI status is the *same* as mine: Obese.

If you want to know your % of fat, that's good, go with that. There are devices that can give you a semi to fully accurate measure, depending on which you use.

Hydrostatic Weighing is the most accurate and the hardest to deal with (especially if you don't like being underwater). However, there are plenty of devices out there that, on the average will give you a fairly accurate read.

And here's one more thing for you to consider: You're female. Are you considering children in your future? Don't shoot for anything lower than 15% body fat, as it could cause complications during pregnancy.
    BinaryFu wrote: »

last time i weight my fat , it was slightly higher. my muscle is in normal range
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

"should"?!?!

well i key in my food intakes last night and it was less than 1200 kcal???

Did you weigh it all or were you guessing? If you were guessing it was probably more than 1200.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't think BMI is flawed. It's just a screening tool- means it should not be accurate to fine-filter. It's just one of many ways to look at things, and it can be a helpful tool with other proper judgement/measurements. Obviously no one's gonna describe a powerlifter "obese" simply by his/her BMI. We look at body fat % and/or other indicators too (that's how skinny-fat people got caught I guess).

So OP you might want to provide a bit more info so we can help you understand why what you were doing didn't work (I'm wondering what your "normal BMI" means). Being realistic is important to be successful too. :smile: