Best Cycling App for Fitbit+MFP?

Options
What works best for you folks on iOS who are using cycling for calorie burn? I'm adding bike commuting to my exercise regimen, and want to find out from folks who have been at it for a while how to best track burn from my bike time against my overall burn. Thanks guys!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Strava is popular and fairly well respected for its calorie formula, although (like everything Strava) it's somewhat controversial. Their heat map is very cool, too, although it probably won't help you commute.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I use Strava and MapMyFitness (my TomTom GPS watch auto updates both) MapMyFitness then puts the exercise and calories into MFP for me (I think Strava can do this too). I find though that Strava and MapMyFitness both overestimate my calorie burn on the bike by a lot compared to when I measure it with my polar HRM so I tend to tweek the number accordingly. (I think it can be as much as 15-25% extra)
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyRide on my IPhone.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper. I hear Strava is good too.

I have been using Runkeeper for years though - and every time I was about to change they improved it to the point I really like it. I disconnected Runkeeper from MFP though because every MFP meal posted to Runkeeper and it clogged up my feed a bit.

Maybe you can try the free apps and report back with you findings...?
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try the free apps and report back with you findings...?

I have started with Strava, but find the UI "cluttered". I also question the calorie burn of fitbit vs strava too. I think I'll try runkeeper next week and see how it works out, then maybe mapmyfitness after that.