Work and excerise

Options
I work a 12 hr night shift and I feel like I don't have time to work out once I get off I have a family at home to take care of house duties and taking care of a 2 year old is a workout itself where do I find time to exercise??
I'm a beginner to my fitness journey help

Replies

• Ringer1022
    Ringer1022 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Do you have the option to go straight from work to the gym before you get home and get absorbed into the rest of life?
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So if you work 12 hour shifts are you only working 3 days a week? That leaves 4 days to go to the gym. If you wait to find the time you'll never find it. There's always something more that needs to be done. You have to make the time and sometimes it means putting other things off. I understand the struggle. I work 55 hours a week, 7 days a week but I make sure I get to the gym at least 3x a week. Some days I'm just exhausted and let me tell you my dishes and laundry are never done but my health is more important to me than my housekeeping.

Also, you don't need a gym. A kid's playground is the perfect place to do a workout and the best part is your kid is there watching. Lots of bars to do pull ups on and a lot of open space for push ups, running, burpees, etc. Playing with your kid is a great way to get exercise. Take your 2 year old outside and teach him/her how to kick a ball or how to do a burpee. Plus there's always the living room floor. For days you're exhausted google a 10 minute full body workout and just do it. 10 minutes is nothing and you'll probably sleep a little better during the day.
  • gonzalde
    gonzalde Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree. Involve your kids to get you going. I personally do not like gyms, I'd rather work out in my home. So I get home, change into some workout clothes and have my family join for 30-45 minute workout that we can do at home. I meal prep so I don't eat other stuff lying around. And I write my progress down to see how I'm doing and what my changes are.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You gotta make time, OP. Prioritize it.

For me, this means getting up at the *kitten* crack of dawn to drive to the gym at work and get a workout in. This also means, on alternate days, throwing on running clothes after work and trudging through late-afternoon heat.

It can be done, OP. You just gotta carve out the time in your schedule.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    ...If you wait to find the time you'll never find it. There's always something more that needs to be done. You have to make the time and sometimes it means putting other things off....
    This. I was where you are and am in my "adjustment phase". I get up exercise 6 days a week, go to work, come home, eat, chores and bed.
    It sucks. I miss having a few minutes "me time", but I can either do what needs to be done or make excuses and I'm all out of excuses.
    ....or as Duke Nukem would say "Time to kick *kitten* and chew bubblegum; and I'm all out of gum"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but you do to get fitter. That said, you MAKE time. Whether it's 2 times a week or more, set aside 30 minutes somewhere in your day.
    Your 12 hour shift is your choice of work. If you choose to be fit, then you also make due with what time you have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Wake up. Do some bodyweight work before your day really starts. Squats and/or lunges, some variation of a pushup, some variation of a chin-/pull-up (regular, with bands, something).
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I agree with PP. I used to work (3) 12-hour shifts/week. You need that 4th day just to recover. It's rough. Having said that, people that work 5 days/week (or any other work schedule) have the same struggle. I think it's a strategy (i.e. an excuse to tell yourself you want to, but you don't have time). I know this because I've used it before.

My BFF still works 3-12's and she and I get up early and go to the gym before we go to work. It's not fun to get up that early, but we carved out that time and have committed to it (because going to the gym after work is not an option - family, cooking, schoolwork, etc).

Also, I go on the weekend. As a mom, we never get to sleep in early anyway. When I come back home, I'm energized, ready to cook breakfast and really get the day started. It has become my "me time".

Good luck!
  • cchang3
    cchang3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I change into my gym clothes at work. I also picked a gym on my route home. That pushes me to get my workout in
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You make time. I work more than one job , which includes working with children, children love to be on the go so get you little ones involved and be a good example.
    I get up at 4:45 am to fit in workouts , you have to want to make it a priority, excuses are simply that
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone, I like the app sworkit, because you can tell it how much time you have available to work out (even as little as 5 minutes) and it'll come up with a no-equipment-needed workout for you. Any movement is better than no movement :)
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There's always time op.
    It's jus a matter of priorities.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You make time. I work more than one job , which includes working with children, children love to be on the go so get you little ones involved and be a good example.
    I get up at 4:45 am to fit in workouts , you have to want to make it a priority, excuses are simply that

Yep. Same here.

• smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    cocates wrote: »

Yep. Same here.

It's freaking worth it . Evenings I'm more likely to make an excuse that I'm tired or possible get stuck working late, getting up a few hours early sometimes to keep up good fitness and health is worth it
  • nicole_aqueen
    nicole_aqueen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your reply all the advice really motivate me to make time!! And no excuse I work 12 hr shifts every other week so I can at least work out 3 days when I get off and on the week I'm off I can work out more.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your reply all the advice really motivate me to make time!! And no excuse I work 12 hr shifts every other week so I can at least work out 3 days when I get off and on the week I'm off I can work out more.

Its an investment in you so you can live longer for them... You prioritized it right. No excuses!!

• jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options

I often "work" exercise into my shifts...so restroom breaks can also include 25 air squats/ 25 modified pushups...if there's a will, there's a way! :)
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You could walk on your lunch and breaks
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I walk on my breaks and lunch time, then eat at my desk - not sure if that is an option for you, but it's amazing how much better I feel and how much more focused I am at work after a 15-45min walk.