Healthy calories?

Options
satsingh81
satsingh81 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Everyone! I am working on getting fit and would like to lose 40 pounds or more. I am new at this and could really use some advice. I am in the 1200 calories range. Should I try to eat all healthy foods for the 1200 calories to lose weight? Have you guys lost weight eating a little bit of junky food? Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Calories determine weight loss. Calories are simply a unit of measurement. They are neither healthy nor unhealthy. You can eat anything you want and if you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. You can eat 100% "healthy" all the time and if you are in a calorie surplus, you will gain weight.

There are plenty of reasons to eat a diet primarily based around minimally processed whole foods that are rich in micronutrients for the overall health of your body but you can certainly still lose weight incorporating some less nutritious foods in moderation. For most people, having foods you enjoy in moderation helps with compliance.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight eating a lot of junky food lol Seriously, you just need to make sure you are at a calorie deficit. When it comes to weight loss, its all about calories in vs calories out, doesn't matter if it comes from a vegetable or a burger. :) Of course its healthier to eat better foods, but to actually lose weight, it does not matter where the calorie comes from.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Its totally possible. However most 'junk' e.g. pizza is high in calories - so you have the choice to:

1. Have a larger portion which would use most of your calories for the day and may leave you hungry but you will still hit target for the day
    2. Have a larger portion and work off the extra in the gym etc.
    3. Have a larger portion and compensate for the extra by reducing calories over the week
    4. Have a larger portion over daily calories
    5. Have a smaller portion and make up the rest of the meal with salad etc.

There is no right answer and each of these suggestions will be right for you at one time or another. The only one which have any impact is going over the calories for the day- but if it's only occasionally- then it won't have much of an impact when viewed longer term.
  • lisaseager45
    lisaseager45 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Am newish to this and on 1200 I find saving some calories for a bit of a treat. Crisps , chocolate etc gives me more willpower to carry on as I still eat what I enjoy. I always exercise first then I don't feel bad ;-) my weight is coming down so am happy and feel must be working :-)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    All food nourishes in one way or another.

When people say they want to 'eat all healthy foods' they usually end up depriving themselves of things they love, and then being unable to stick to their overly restrictive diet, and they crash and burn and fail.

Let yourself eat the things you most love, within your calorie limit.

You'll know when you need pizza, and when you need salad and veg. Moderation for the win.
  • zugunruhey
    zugunruhey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30+ pounds so far and absolutely did not give up junk food. I just eat less of it than I did before. Takeout once or twice a week has made it a much more valuable treat to look forward to instead of something that was replacing meals I prepare myself. I do typically have some type of candy once a day as well, just a small serving (200 calories or less) so that I don't go over my calorie goals and I still feel like I'm not depriving myself.

Figure out what it is you like about junk food and try to incorporate foods that have that same flavor profile but fit in more with your calorie goals. Since I have a sweet tooth I'll eat fruit, nuts with honey, or yogurt when I want something sweet. If you're after salt then try having pretzels, air popped popcorn (surprisingly low calorie if you omit or add very little butter), whole grain crackers, salted nuts, etc. That way you still get your cravings satisfied and you're eating healthier at the same time.