Calling all Paleo and Modified Paleo eaters! What do you like on your...

Options
beautifulwarrior18
beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
edited May 2016 in Food and Nutrition
burger?! I love me a burger with some helmanns mayo, ketchup, pickle, tomato and lettuce but well if you're on this board, you know.

I need my burger saucy! What do you use instead of ketchup and mayo? I know I can use paleo mayo, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'd prefer something else.

I tried mustard and Franks and it was decent, but not what I'd wan to eat on my burger all the time. I googled and Avocado seems like a popular choice, but Avocados make me sick despite my love for them.

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Salt, pepper, and garlic
  • jackfr0st
    jackfr0st Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make my own paleo ketchup and bbq sauce
  • aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    create your own garlic sauce, add pineapple, or spice it up with a jalapeno in your paleo mayo.
  • denise_saunders_
    denise_saunders_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi
    burger?! I love me a burger with some helmanns mayo, ketchup, pickle, tomato and lettuce but well if you're on this board, you know.

I need my burger saucy! What do you use instead of ketchup and mayo? I know I can use paleo mayo, but I'm not a huge fan of it. I'd prefer something else.

I tried mustard and Franks and it was decent, but not what I'd wan to eat on my burger all the time. I googled and Avocado seems like a popular choice, but Avocados make me sick despite my love for them.
    Hi I'm hooked on a hiome made tomato ketchup recipe from The gut makeover I have it with a lot of my meals now . It's delicious . In a blender put
    1/2 a jar of sun dried tomato s
    2 large fresh tomatoes
    1/2 a red onion
    A garlic clove
    A handful of fresh basil
    Sea salt , blend together with olive oil and keep adding oil until you get the consistency you want . I also added a glug of red wine vinegar which isn't in the recipe but adds to the flavour. Hope this is of any use ,

• Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I sauté onions and mushrooms in some ghee, make a homemade salsa, grill a green chile, add a fried egg, use dump ranch, make a green chile sauce, make my own mayo or other sauces.... mmmmm now I know what's for dinner! I usually put my burger over a bed of roasted veggies and fresh greens - arugula is super good with burgers - then top with one or more of the ideas I listed! I'm thinking grilled chile, fried egg, and salsa tonight! I'll add avocado as well cause they are nothing but yum to me!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Caramelized onions and blue cheese...mmmm (obviously primal, but mmmm).
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Make my own ketchup, mayo, bbq sauce etc.
    Usually top my burger with home made pickles, fried egg, avocado, bacon, tomato, mushrooms and so on and on and on...
    BTW... if you havent tried yet, get bison meat for your burger :)

I have had bison before. I used to live near a bison farm, but now that I moved I have no idea where I'd get it from. I struggle with my protein intake so I think from now on I've got to focus on the ground poultry as opposed to red meat.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    A fried egg is the best thing ever on a burger!
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? I like my burgers slathered in cheese sauce.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I love to mix Coconut Aminos with sour cream! Use as a dip for my burgers, steaks, pork chops etc. So good.. I could drink this stuff
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes to guacamole! Too bad avocados make you sick, OP... :(
  • beautifulwarrior18
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? I like my burgers slathered in cheese sauce.
    megemrj wrote: »
    I love to mix Coconut Aminos with sour cream! Use as a dip for my burgers, steaks, pork chops etc. So good.. I could drink this stuff

No dairy :(. All that crap makes me swell up like a balloon.
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Yes to guacamole! Too bad avocados make you sick, OP... :(

Yeah I used to eat a couple of Avocados a week. Unfortunately they started giving me heartburn :-1: :which is apparently really common because of their fat content. But it makes me sad. I'm hoping maybe once I lose more weight and get healthier I'll be able to incorporate them back into my diet, but no luck with that yet.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    @beautifulwarrior18

I'm sensitive to most dairy too. I can't have ice cream, yogurt, hwc, or milk without stomach issues (...not just bloating). I don't chance butter very often and make my own ghee.

For some reason, I can use sour cream sparingly! Yay!! I use about 2-3 TBS of sour cream to 2-3 TSP coconut Aminos. Not sure if it's the fat & meat protein that makes it OK but so glad!! I do it about 3 times a week or less. Not often, as I don't want to hit my tolerance level. That would be depressing for me.

Eta: not to Jack your thread and I'm a talker. o:)

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Make my own ketchup, mayo, bbq sauce etc.
    Usually top my burger with home made pickles, fried egg, avocado, bacon, tomato, mushrooms and so on and on and on...
    BTW... if you havent tried yet, get bison meat for your burger :)

I have had bison before. I used to live near a bison farm, but now that I moved I have no idea where I'd get it from. I struggle with my protein intake so I think from now on I've got to focus on the ground poultry as opposed to red meat.

It's at my WF. Lean ground beef is as good for protein as ground poultry. (I prefer my poultry non ground.)

I do burgers paleo style (no bun) a lot, and while I love mustard (and hate mayo and ketchup) it's not right in those circumstances. What I do is add chopped onions to the meat and then eat it with a topping of giardiniera.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    Yeah I finally found 97% and 90% lean beef. I think if I added an egg to the 97% lean beef it would make it stick together better and give it more protein. Ground poultry has significantly more protein than lean beef so I think I'm going to try to stick with that, unless the egg maneuver works well and tastes yummy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah I finally found 97% and 90% lean beef. I think if I added an egg to the 97% lean beef it would make it stick together better and give it more protein. Ground poultry has significantly more protein than lean beef so I think I'm going to try to stick with that, unless the egg maneuver works well and tastes yummy.

According to the USDA site, 100 g of ground turkey that is 93% lean has 19 g of protein, whereas 100 g of ground beef that is 93% lean has 21 g.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    Options
    That's weird because the numbers I'm pulling is saying 97% lean ground turkey has 26 g of protein for 4 oz and 97% lean beef has 24 g protein for 4 oz. But the numbers I'm pulling up on mfp are way different. My sources probably aren't great, but I don't trust the USDA either. Maybe when the National Turkey Federation is as large as the US beef council and can lobby with just as much money I'll start taking the word of the USDA.