What do you do about late night cravings?

Options
Towards the end of the day I always want something sweet it seems! (And I'm usually out of calories left for the day) it sucks and I hate to be dependent on sugar!! What do you do when you really want a sweet snack?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My plan includes 5 prunes for fiber and a fiber gummy supplement. They are both sweet. It's a functional dessert for me.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I save calories for a sweet snack, because if I can't have treats I'm not a happy camper. 100 cal greek yogurt with a granola sprinkle, slow churned ice cream or fro-yo at 120 cals 1/2 cup, or one of those protein bars that's chocolate coated ... I hear you on hating to be dependent on sugar, and I tried to "abstain" from it for periods but limiting certain foods just isn't my thing. I plan it in instead.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 square of Trader Joe's dark chocolate (chopped), 1/2 ounce chopped nuts
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I go to bed early x
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I always save calories for snacking, plan them ahead if I can, if not just save calories. If you feel like something sweet just eat it in moderation (within snacking calorie limit you set yourself). 80/20 is a very good way of eating. 80% is all natural all goodness food. 20% is whatever you like, as long as it fit in calories.
  • xCyanideGirlx
    xCyanideGirlx Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    nothing. i pretty much just deal w/ the hunger pains till they go away.
  • Sheriseology
    Sheriseology Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sleep.

Night cravings are the worse, and they usually catch you when your willpower is gone, so you are more likely to binge or choose something pretty calorie dense and and low in nutrients. So finish up whatever needs to be done for the day and go get some beauty sleep. A lot of people don't get enough hours of sleep and there are studies out there about more quality sleep helping weight loss. (Another bonus in my case is that I get to save more money in concealer when my undereye bags aren't like whoa)

Another possible solution is to maybe build in a snack that you've been craving into your diet.

In the middle of all the calorie math, it is easy to forget the mental aspect. If you treat the diet as an ongoing punishment, that mindset might also serve to break down your willpower. If you want the damn candy bar, PLAN it out so you can make your nutrition and calories count for the day. This is an important lesson on how to approach junk food with moderation, rather than waiting until you are tired and hangry and staring down a million calorie feast.

This post (skip down a bit to the 2nd half of the Food section) contains an example of a day's worth of food that managed to squeeze a donut in and come out at 1210 calories. So you don't have to necessarily suffer with celery sticks.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    If you can, space out your meals as much as possible, or work out which meals you're really hungry before, and which ones you could have a 'snack meal' instead. I've discovered that a big breakfast sets me up for the day, and eliminates the mid-morning sugar cravings. I can therefore have a smaller lunch, a little fruit in the afternoon, and I don't eat then until after the gym, which means I'm eating a little later in the evening. The consequence is that I'm less hungry in the late evening.

However, sometimes life doesn't work like that - today I know I need to eat a super-early lunch, because I have a funeral to attend at 1pm, straight from work, and I don't want to be tempted by the high cal food that will be on offer at the reception afterwards. So I've packed several smaller 'meals' - a raw veggie salad, some little pots of fruit, a pot of yogurt, and a little 100 cal flapjack to keep any hunger pangs at bay. It means I can eat something before I leave, take a snack with me, and know I have something to eat on my return. The consequence of all that is that I probably won't be quite as hungry for my dinner - so I just need to listen to my hunger signals and eat only when I am hungry, and as much to fill me up. Often, this will mean that I leave the carbs on my plate, and I'll have space for a little treat later in the evening, if necessary. I don't think sugar is the devil, and refuse to deprive myself of the things I love, so my calorie count gives me space to have these things, on a regular basis. However, I do think of them as treats, and so enjoy them as such - I cut my chocolate into little pieces, and try to let it just melt, rather than downing it in one! Or use a little spoon - take your time over these things, they're made to be enjoyed!

Finally, going to bed early isn't a bad idea! More sleep is always a good thing, plus research has shown that early nights lead to a better quality of sleep overall. You'll probably wake up starving, but breakfast is (for me) an easy meal to eat 'right'.
  • rhsdancer5
    rhsdancer5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Majority of the week I don't have to work till 2:30.. So I always get enough sleep:p I need to learn to like Greek yogurt, I really don't like yogurt. I have tried to eat it with granola and fruit but it is just not my thing. Maybe I can get to like it.

And thank you everyone!:) that helps!
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Plan for it. Log it first thing and work the rest of your food around it.
  • azfire5
    azfire5 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Protein shake baby!! Protozein is great has more gooder flavors than others out there in my opinion lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I save calories for a sweet snack, because if I can't have treats I'm not a happy camper. 100 cal greek yogurt with a granola sprinkle, slow churned ice cream or fro-yo at 120 cals 1/2 cup, or one of those protein bars that's chocolate coated ... I hear you on hating to be dependent on sugar, and I tried to "abstain" from it for periods but limiting certain foods just isn't my thing. I plan it in instead.

This^

Plan for it. I won't be snack free when I get to goal, so I might as well start managing now.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I make dark chocolate out of coconut oil...50 cal a piece and one or two is enough to satisfy me...it's not even really sweet, but the coconut oil is all fat which makes my brain every bit as happy as a bowl of ice cream would...

1c coconut oil
    1c cocoa powder
    1t vanilla
    2T agave (or honey or maple syrup or sugar or some other sweetner)
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm with the planners. If I'm going to sustain my loss, I need to understand my eating patterns and make room. I save up between 100-260 calories for snacking. Sometimes in a single serve cup of ice cream. Sometimes it's celery and guacamole. Depends on what I want, but I make sure I can snack without blowing my day.