Weightloss comments- The good, bad and just plain annoying

Options
Etsar73
Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
During our journey, I'm sure we have all heard many comments about our weightloss. Some good, some bad and some just plain annoying!

I get mostly positive comments. The ones that bug me the most are the ones that question what I eat when they know I am losing weight and how I losing weight. I have told my family repeatedly that I eat whatever I want so long as it fits in with my calorie goals. Yet I still get the 'You're eating THAT! Have you stopped your diet?'

What kind of comments have you received?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I look gaunt, drawn and have lost my bust- oh, but i still have saddle-bag thighs. Okay.
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When people know you are dieting and have been for several years, suggest surgery, as it would speed up the results for weight loss.
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    "If I was you I would of strapped weights around my thighs and gone walking because you aren't losing weight in the right places."

Annoyed me to hear that. After working hard to lose what i did.
  • ho11y4271
    ho11y4271 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hate when people tell me I'm going to fail because I've cut certain things out of my diet. They say I can't be happy eating healthy foods and cutting out junk food. I tell them I haven't just cut the foods out to lose weight, I don't want to eat them any more as I'm adopting a healthier lifestyle and I've never felt better, but still they say I'm doomed to fail. It's obvious they just say this because they can't imagine being able to do this themselves, but not everyone is the same.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I only get negative comments from one man at work - most are positive. This one man though, says I was "perfect before" (I guess 200lb at 5'3" is perfect for him) and now I'm "too boney", I look "tired and sick" and I need to "stop killing myself to lose weight"
    Oh and "once I'm done dieting I need to go eat a big 16oz steak"

I would tell him that I would prefer to be in a healthy, normal BMI range and that my physician is pleased with my progress.

Congrats!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    My mother recently told me she thinks I look gaunt, sick and too thin. Thanks, mom. My BMI is 21.7 I promise I'm OK. Just because you haven't seen me at this weight in 20 years doesn't mean it's sick...

I would like to point out that she said it from a position of genuine concern, at least. She wasn't trying to be mean or catty, but it still hurt to hear.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I only get negative comments from one man at work - most are positive. This one man though, says I was "perfect before" (I guess 200lb at 5'3" is perfect for him) and now I'm "too boney", I look "tired and sick" and I need to "stop killing myself to lose weight"

I would tell him that I would prefer to be in a healthy, normal BMI range and that my physician is pleased with my progress.

Congrats!

Yes indeed, and thank you. I forgot to mention the worst part - this man has had three heart attacks and of course is overweight.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Never mind the fact that I eat whatever I want (including steak), just in smaller portions... But I must be killing myself if I'm losing weight!

Human resources.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Never mind the fact that I eat whatever I want (including steak), just in smaller portions... But I must be killing myself if I'm losing weight!

Funny how he seems to think what you do with your body should be about him!
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Comments made during my loss...
    • You can splurge every once in a while, it's not going to kill you.
    • She measures out her condiments (ha ha)
    • You don't have to weigh everything
    • Your eating that? Are you off your diet?
    • (not to my face) She'll gain it back because she's losing it too quickly

Comments made during maintenance...
    • Don't lose any more (current bmi 20.8)
    • How did you lose? (counting cals & logging food) Oh, I can never do that!

Of course the positive comments outweigh the funny ones ;-)
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    ho11y4271 wrote: »
    I hate when people tell me I'm going to fail because I've cut certain things out of my diet. They say I can't be happy eating healthy foods and cutting out junk food. I tell them I haven't just cut the foods out to lose weight, I don't want to eat them any more as I'm adopting a healthier lifestyle and I've never felt better, but still they say I'm doomed to fail. It's obvious they just say this because they can't imagine being able to do this themselves, but not everyone is the same.

Yeah, it sounds like they want you to fail because they don't have the motivation to do it.
  • angelamccann1974
    angelamccann1974 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Luckily I'm not getting many negatives. I have lost 30# and over 15" total in 3.5 months and dropped 2 sizes. Yet Noone seems to notice or say anything, except my husband who now can't keep his hands off me ! No comments kinda sucks but then I'm not doing this for recognition, I'm doing it for ME! Negativity will just encourage me to push harder!
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    "You're looking too thin now"
    And cause I refused a take away and had protein dinner i got "are you anorexic now?"
    Like seriously cause I choose healthy foods it means I have an eating disorder now!
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining my 68 pound loss for only about 1 month. I mentioned to my mother (who is also using MFP to lose weight) that I'm feeling like weighing my food this week is a burden I wish I didn't have to deal with. She replied, "Now that you've lost the weight and know about portions you don't have to weigh your food anymore." Uh, no. This is wrong, for me, because I must keep weighing and logging or I'll go right back where I was before. Just two days ago I started eating caramel popcorn out of the bag without weighing my portion and, perhaps not surprisingly, I ate a lot more than I intended and I actually don't know how many calories I did eat. So obviously my weight loss has not magically given me either buckets of will power or super-vision that allows me to know how many calories I'm consuming if I don't weigh/measure.

My viewpoint: weighing and logging is the "medicine" that keeps me from experiencing obesity related illnesses. Taking necessary medicine doesn't have to be fun. I just have to do it.