Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

New public health campaign against sugar.

1235»

Replies

• gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    gothomson wrote: »
    Lets be realistic, especially with the huge advertising slush funds these companies have, children will want these drinks. However, a few things are needed: proper funding of the alternatives to sugary drink - and I don't meant artificial ones either - so that they are widely available and affordable.

Water needs funding?
    Eh?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Lets be realistic, especially with the huge advertising slush funds these companies have, children will want these drinks. However, a few things are needed: proper funding of the alternatives to sugary drink - and I don't meant artificial ones either - so that they are widely available and affordable.

Water needs funding?
    Eh?

What are your "alternatives to sugary drink"?
    Water seems "widely available and affordable".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Tastes good right out of my tap!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I tend to turn it into not-water by heating it up and letting chemicals dissolve into it out of processed plants.
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member

Water needs funding?
    Eh?

This isn't facebook pal, so I'll leave it at that.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Water needs funding?
    Eh?

Wat.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member

Water needs funding?

Water has plenty of funding...look up who funded the studies that tell us those ridiculous amounts of water we need to ingest per day. Hint: it's not the sugar industry.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Water needs funding?
    Eh?

So, water isn't a viable alternative to giving your children soda?

Also tagging.

I think a lot of people tend to not think about drinks or can view juices as healthy, and not think about the sugar/calorie content. I've given up a lot of calorie laden drinks because I'd rather spend my calories elsewhere.

But, I rarely drank real soda as a child, and I don't even like the flavor much. I'd have a welch's grape soda once a week (after tennis practice), and that was probably it. I grew up liking the taste of diet soda, and it's still what I drink now. I also drink a TON of water. They're habits my parents taught me when I was a kid, and they lasted.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Commenting to follow. Very interesting discussion going on and want to be able to read it later.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I tend to turn it into not-water by heating it up and letting chemicals dissolve into it out of processed plants.

I did that this morning. ;-)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

I drink about 40-60 oz of hot, plant chemical non-water every weekday (much less on weekends when I'm not confined to a desk).

I'm assuming you use plant leaves as your plant material though. I use dried beans.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,379 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I drink about 40-60 oz of hot, plant chemical non-water every weekday (much less on weekends when I'm not confined to a desk).

I'm assuming you use plant leaves as your plant material though. I use dried beans.

Well when I do that, I add some sugar. Should I be scared now?

This is another case of governments going what governments do. "Dumbing" down the real issues until we have the groups that will
    1) ignore this type of campaign along with others and eat until obese or larger
    2) moderate their food intake and attempt to eat reasonably despite what the government(s) suggest or
    3) find the other extremes of eating mostly well, but thinking that sugar (or carbs, or unclean food, or meat, or things not green) is/are the devil

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »
    They keep saying that you get heart disease if you consume sugary drinks/foods, yet I consume these things and I have reverse my heart disease. I wonder how I did that.....I must be medical miracle!!!

Or perhaps you had a different type of heart disease than that of which they speak. But even if not, saying because you had X results that Y result is impossible is about as silly as saying smoking doesn't cause cancer because my uncle Alex smokes and doesn't have cancer. These are general recommendations after all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I think anything reduces the amount of sugar children consume is a good thing. I doubt this will have a huge impact but if it does, good.