Can I lose fat but gain muscle at the same time.

Options
Help!

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    From every thing I have read on this forum and other places the answer is no, however you can lose fat and strengthen the muscle you do have
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    As far as I am aware yes, and even a triple yes to that.
    The only issue you may find is that gaining muscle may cause water retention and possibly affect your weight loss.
    It most certainly is a great way to loose weight as you will be toning your body simultaneously to loosing CM's (and fat) :)
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    janetennet wrote: »
    The only issue you may find is that gaining muscle may cause water retention and possibly affect your weight loss.
    It most certainly is a great way to loose weight as you will be toning your body simultaneously to loosing CM's (and fat) :)

I always thought you could, because muscle helps to burns fat, but seems like I read everywhere that you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit and you can't lose fat if without a calorie deficit.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, it's a bit slower than the usual cutting and bulking cycles though.

Do a search on 'recomp' on this forum and the internets, there's a ton of stuff on it.
  • Cohalligan
    Cohalligan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think its one of those things that differing people have differing opinions. The personal trainer who does my nutritional plan did a weigh in with me yesterday and according to her scale despite losing 5.2lbs and 1.9% body fat, I gained 0.8lbs muscle mass. She said it is entirely possible to gain muscle whole losing if you are getting enough protein.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Not a ton of it and only while you're still fairly heavy and a total beginner at heavy resistance training and don't lose weight too fast.
    If you're just jogging occasionally or something I wouldn't expect anything.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    janetennet wrote: »

I always thought you could, because muscle helps to burns fat, but seems like I read everywhere that you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit and you can't lose fat if without a calorie deficit.

You can, but it is difficult and a lengthy process - look into re-comp for more information.

Generally, those who have the most immediate success with simultaneous muscle gain and fat loss are:
    • Late adolescent males (who have a naturally high testosterone level)
    • Those who have a drug elevated testosterone levels
    • New obese gym goers
    • (Anecdotally) people who were relatively highly muscular, have laid off the gym for some time and are now returning to it.

For the rest of us, we have to either bulk and cut or re-comp.

Note: New trainees usually see improvements in how much they can work/lift and a corresponding increase in size of muscles. This is not considered to be muscle gain (generation of new fibers) but rather neuro-muscular adaptation with increased muscular fluid retention.