Squiffy Squat - form help please lifters?

Options
Can anybody tell me why my left leg (knee seemingly) angles outwards more than my right knee?

I am in week 3 of SL5x5. I have noticed this week (when checking form in the mirror) a flaw in my form when squatting which i really don't know how to fix - I did a lot of warm up weight practice with different stance, checking foot alignment and such to correct the issue. No matter what i did, my left leg goes rogue. My right leg seems my dominant leg (almost like it takes more of the weight on - not sure how to describe it). Is it likely an imbalance that i can address?

Any help appreciated. I want to get this nailed before the squat weight gets too heavy.

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Is your foot rolling out?
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Difficult to say without seeing it. Can you take a video? Is there a trainer at the gym you could ask?
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nobody to ask other than the scary buff men on the next station. I can try and take a video at my next session.

Can you explain what you mean by foot rolling out? I may need to check this.

Thanks.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    nq0mkkdjtsw0.jpg

Springy sports shoes (like running shoes) do not give a flat or stable platform and can cause the ankles to roll in or out. It doesn't have to be an effect caused by shoes, some people will do this no matter what their shoes (or even barefoot) and in these cases they will need to investigate exercises to correct this. But it is worth investigating because if it is shoes, it's a very quick fix: Kick 'em off and squat in socks, barefoot, or a more stable shoe.
  • spritey86
    Options
    Ah ok, I will check this out. Thanks for the info.

I was lifting in my running trainers until my running trainers ruined my plantar fascia in my right foot a couple of weeks ago. I started lifting in my Adidas Superstar shoes this week after reading that flat shoes help and these definitely felt better lifting in.

adidas.com/us/superstar-shoes/B27140.html?pr=CUSTOMIZE_IMG_Superstar%2520Shoes
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hard to say without video. Could be some knee valgus in your right knee, which is often caused by glute weakness, or could be any number of other things. There's lots of biomechanics in play in the squat.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if your left knee is going out, its sorta supposed to go out, but in a controlled torqued out way. Maybe its your right knee that isn't being pressed out like its supposed to.
    you really need to post a video. you gotta have complete control of your legs, tight engaged torqued. No floppy legs in squats. Your knees need to be consciously put where you want them to be.
    just post a video.
  • spritey86
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    if your left knee is going out, its sorta supposed to go out, but in a controlled torqued out way. Maybe its your right knee that isn't being pressed out like its supposed to.
    you really need to post a video. you gotta have complete control of your legs, tight engaged torqued. No floppy legs in squats. Your knees need to be consciously put where you want them to be.
    just post a video.

Thanks for this. I don't know why i considered that my left leg was the problem. Revisited my squats on Sunday morning and as long as I concentrate on pushing my right knee out its ok - as you say, a conscious decision to make it move that way. I will try and get some video's.