Can you take protein on planes

Options
Silly question but flying home next week for a race just wondering if anyone has tried to take protein powder with them and if you can get through with it in a shaker ?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Depends where you are most places have liquid volume restrictions. Ask you airline.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Will literally be in powder form I mix mine with water . Rather not have my bag searched because of that, I got stopped for hot chocolate powder once >_>
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Thought this was the strangest euphemism ever.

*may in fact be a 12 yo boy*

I've never had a problem flying with protein powder in my bag, but I think I've only done it once (travel worth it all the time, but most of those trips I drove).

If they're concerned, they'll run a chemical test. You could also try bringing jerky instead or buying powder ay your destination.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people having to go through additional searches because of protein powders and supplements.

I think the safest approach would be to take brand new, still sealed bags/pouches and have them in your hand luggage. When you go through the security checks take them out of your bag and send them through the scanner in the tray (just like you would with a lap top). This way the security staff can clearly see what it is (rather than a big lump in the middle of your hand luggage).

If, because of the volumes/weight you can't take a full pouch put it in clear zip lock bags, label it and do the same as above, but be prepared for a few questions.

I would expect it to be worse with some of the colourless, flavourless supplements (like creatine) but I'd guess that airport staff can identify chocolate/strawberry whey powder as such.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've taken race fuel on a plane before. I had protein powder, energy gels, and loads of other snacks. I left it in my bag and they looked suspect on the scanner. That time I got to take a trip to secondary scanning.

Every other time, I've taken them out (in a Ziploc bag), put them in the tray (like a laptop), and have had zero issues. This is what I would suggest. Also, try to get your powder in those travel packets so you aren't just carrying a Ziploc bag of loose powder around.
  • sallyroper
    sallyroper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Emirates made us put it in the hold luggage not hand luggage and it was fine
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    When I first flew with it, I had it in the original container and didn't think twice, but on the way back, I had emptied it into a ziplock bag to save room. When I called the airline, they said it was up to me whether I wanted to put it in my checked luggage or my carry-on, basically saying the only difference would be that if they decided to take it out to see what it was, in one situation I'd be with it and in the other not. I opted to take it with me so I could be there if they needed to go through my stuff! So I took it in a plain, unmarked plastic bag in my carry-on, and nobody checked it.
  • Wahlster
    Wahlster Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unmarked powder in a bag or a container might raise eyebrows depending on who's going through your bag -- but it shouldn't flag your luggage? It hasn't, when I've done similar dozens of times over the last few years. Liquid is the only no-no. Solids, including powders, should be fine.

International flights, just keep in mind that the country of departure sets policy about what get taken in unchecked luggage, so double-check if that's a consideration.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time and never had a problem.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Muscle milk sealed
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    leave it home and buy more when you land
  • m_o_
    m_o_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One of the You-tubers I watch carries it in a zip-lock bag that she labels protein powder not drugs. I always found that hilarious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people having to go through additional searches because of protein powders and supplements.

I think the safest approach would be to take brand new, still sealed bags/pouches and have them in your hand luggage. When you go through the security checks take them out of your bag and send them through the scanner in the tray (just like you would with a lap top). This way the security staff can clearly see what it is (rather than a big lump in the middle of your hand luggage).

This is what I was thinking too. You can usually buy individual sized ones. More expensive, probably, but might be worth it for the convenience on a trip.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »

Why?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    ive brought thr sealed single serving packets of my protein powder and brought it just fine.
  • smileymaxine
    Options
    billglitch wrote: »
    I wouldn't know where in Scotland I would even buy the kind I use also what's the point of buying like 1kg or even 3kg of powder for 5 days ... Especially when I'd have to fly it home :/
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I fly regularly with vanilla protein powder and chia seeds in clear ziplocks, always in my checked bag though. Never had any issues with searches. I can smell the vanilla, so I figure a drug dog will be able to tell the difference too!
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    if it's Vanilla flavour - put in bold letters NOT COCAINE, WHEY PROTEIN - then give them a crisp 50$ bill to inhale and try it out.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If I were flying, I'd just bring a protein bar with me, not powder because it really depends. Somone I know was flying and TSA took her whole box of Splenda. They opened her luggage [checked, I believe] and took it all and left a note saying they opened the bag and confiscated it.
  • smileymaxine
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    if it's Vanilla flavour - put in bold letters NOT COCAINE, WHEY PROTEIN - then give them a crisp 50$ bill to inhale and try it out.

Would do that but the swedes have literally no sense of humor and with the airport radars being knocked out earlier this week think security is going to be higher