Need help gaining weight

Options
I've eaten 4000 calories a day for two months and I haven't gained a single pound. I track and measure all of my food exactly. Honestly, what the am I supposed to do? Doesn't this violate science or something? I don't do any cardio so my body should only be consuming about 2300 calories per day. Where are the other 1700 calories going if not into body mass?

Replies

• fadiyousif171
    fadiyousif171 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Same thing is happening to me right now I'm on my 4th week of bulk and consuming about 3k calories a day and I gained about 1 kg in first 2 weeks then went down to my starting weight. It's annyoing me lol
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Eat more
    Train properly and effectively
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Let us know what you eat in a typical day, meal by meal.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    Let us know what you eat in a typical day, meal by meal.

^^this.

Open your diary.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Spoiler
    it's always because the poster is either failing to track their intake or their tracked intake contains generic servings
  • lplummer324
    lplummer324 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I struggle with weight gain too. It's really hard and frustrating when u are doing all u can to gain but see no results. Open your diary so we can see your meals that u are eating each day. Then maybe we can give u suggestions!
  • vegetagains
    vegetagains Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've opened my diary for everyone to see. Remember that I need support and advice not judgement.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Sorry, still can't see in your diary.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Eat more. I have had to go as high as 6000 per day to gain.
  • vegetagains
    Options
    I've put the diary setting on public is there anything else I need to do so you can see it?
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    OK can see it now.

I was wrong when I said this;
    Spoiler
    it's always because the poster is either failing to track their intake or their tracked intake contains generic servings

Generally looks good but I would say that:
    • The simplest answer is that you need more than you are currently eating - your recent intake seems to be around the 4000 mark. Stick with that and monitor weight and body measurements for another couple of weeks but do not be afraid to up the cals in (200 - 250 cal steps) until you hit gain.
    • There is a focus on protein. I know that over and above your basic requirements for protein and fat you can eat what you want but when someone is struggling to put on weight I would recommend hitting the protein and fat and then focusing on carbs and fat. Why? Because the thermic effect of protein can reduce the net calories slightly and since protein tends to be highly satiating - which is something that you want to avoid.
    • Double check your entries: That ON Mass Gainer looks wrong to me - either the cals are wrong or the macros are wrong but by using the simple 4cal per g carb and protein and 9cal per g of fat it comes in at 560 cals not 650. Since you tend to have it three times a day that is about 270 cals you're short changing yourself. On the flip side of that the Generic PB&J sandwiches look a little on the low side to me: When I make then (and I weight each ingredient out) 2 slices of bread and the filling comes in at closer to 500 cals.

Note: All this advice assumes that you are doing some sort of progressive strength routine to increase muscle mass rather than just piling on fat?

Best wishes and Good Luck with it.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I've opened my diary for everyone to see. Remember that I need support and advice not judgement.

Here's some advice, don't be so sensitive. You're more likely to get advice if you're not getting upset at suggestions that you don't like.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »

Here's some advice, don't be so sensitive. You're more likely to get advice if you're not getting upset at suggestions that you don't like.

^^Unhelpful IMHO. OP Is three posts old on the forums but has probably seen us, time and time again, reduce a simple question into arguing and points scoring - I understand his reluctance to open his diary up to the baying crowd. He wasn't getting upset at anything that had previously been said but asking that we don't create a *kitten* storm about any slight error or indiscretion we see.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Consider reducing protein and upping carbs. In addition to what Stealth already said, there is some evidence that overfeeding carbs is more important than protein on a bulk. Not sure how much weight you want to give Antonio's work, since there is not much out there to corroborate it, but if you are training hard and overfeeding on protein alone, it may be counterproductive for bulking:
    http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-19
    http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-015-0100-0
    http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-016-0114-2

(ETA: messed up one of the links)
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It does seem your getting the calories down.

What is your age, height and weight?

And what activity do you during the day? You aren't running 3 marathons per day are you? :smile:
  • vegetagains
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far I'm going to continue eating 4,000 calories for a month and if my weight doesn't go up I'll increase my calories.
  • wrathofpascal
    wrathofpascal Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    4000? Wow