When should I adjust down?

Options
I'm aiming for a 1 pound per week loss and am wondering, with the way weight fluctuates between several pounds daily, when do I know if I need to reduce more calories to reach my goals?

Based on my TDEE I should be at 1500 to lose. However I am nursing a 3 month old so I started at 1800 as to not affect milk supply (I do not subtract the calories milk making burns in addition to that adjustment).

I know measurments can be more accurate than just weight as well. At what point do I look to adjust? I've only been religiously tracking a week and my weight is up and down but keeps returning to that magical 181.2.

Replies

• 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hiya. Congrats on baby and breastfeeding, enjoy your little one...You probably need to stick with things for a bit longer than a week to see if it is working but I would say if after another week you do not see the scale move, you are not in a deficit.

BUT......reading threads on here for three plus years, there seems to be huge variation on weight loss success for exclusively breastfeeding moms (easier later). I was one of the ones who couldn't make it work (although I had been well practiced in the ways of calorie counting and I had successfully lost 10 kg before my pregnancy) . I thought I created a reasonable deficit and included 60 minute fast paced walks but I was ravenously hungry, craving carbs and after a few days of calorie restriction my milk supply dropped. There is no literature to support this so I was totally baffled but it was real and I couldn't deal with it. I gave it a go several times and gave up eventually and waited until the hormones settled to start things for real. Others really seemed to have no problem losing weight while breastfeeding so keep trying but don't pressure yourself. It is such a lovely time.
  • elizabethpittman80
    elizabethpittman80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    88meli88 wrote: »
    Hiya. Congrats on baby and breastfeeding, enjoy your little one...You probably need to stick with things for a bit longer than a week to see if it is working but I would say if after another week you do not see the scale move, you are not in a deficit.

BUT......reading threads on here for three plus years, there seems to be huge variation on weight loss success for exclusively breastfeeding moms (easier later). I was one of the ones who couldn't make it work (although I had been well practiced in the ways of calorie counting and I had successfully lost 10 kg before my pregnancy) . I thought I created a reasonable deficit and included 60 minute fast paced walks but I was ravenously hungry, craving carbs and after a few days of calorie restriction my milk supply dropped. There is no literature to support this so I was totally baffled but it was real and I couldn't deal with it. I gave it a go several times and gave up eventually and waited until the hormones settled to start things for real. Others really seemed to have no problem losing weight while breastfeeding so keep trying but don't pressure yourself. It is such a lovely time.

Thank you!! I have heard many say they have difficulty losing while exclusively breastfeeding so you're not alone! That's why I'm trying to go at a slow weight loss pace. I figure if I can't lose at least I am setting up good habits for when she weans!
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Come and join us in this postpartum group where we encourage each other and do a weekly weigh in.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113945-fit-fabulous-postpartum