Cooking Challenge: Cilantro/Coriander

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the thirty-sixth round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from metal_beau, the winner of the garlic cooking challenge.

cilantro-growing.jpg

This week's challenge is CILANTRO/CORIANDER.

Any entries from prior cooking challenges may not be reused.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday July 2nd at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Great ingredient! I love cilantro in my curries, pico de gallo, soups, stews, any egg or tomato dish, and pretty well anywhere else it'll fit! Can't wait to see the suggestions :bigsmile:
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Me either. I make a mean salsa I'll have to post later :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Bump while I put my thinking cap on!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Share your cilantro dishes!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    From my food blog Mom Vs Food

Spicy Gazpacho
    This soup is served cold and is very refreshing on hot summer nights. It is also great year round when you need a little immune system boost with the raw garlic and onion...you may just want to have a little gum handy ;)

1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 medium onion (cut into large chunks)
    2 cloves garlic (grated)
    1 stalk celery (cleaned and cut into large chunks)
    1 jalapeno (with ribs and seeds depending on how hot you like it)
    1/2 cucumber (cut into large chunks)
    handful of baby carrots (10-15)
    bell pepper (charred under broiler, skins and seeds removed, cut into quarters)
    handful of fresh cilantro
    lime (zest and juice)
    lemon (zest and juice)
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    dash hot sauce (depending on how hot you like it)

In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes, onion, garlic, celery, and jalapeno until blended well and relatively smooth. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into a pitcher or large bowl.

To the remaining tomato puree, add cucumber, carrots, pepper, cilantro, lemon, lime, black pepper and hot sauce. Pulse a couple seconds at a time until the mixture is blended but still a little chunky. Add to the first half of the puree and mix well.

Refrigerate at least 1 hour for the flavors to blend. Serve topped with more cilantro, sour cream, avocado chunks, or crushed tortilla chips.

The soup alone is SUPER diet friendly, and comes in at 36 calories, 9g carbs, 2g protein, and 109 mg sodium per 1/2 cup. (look for Momvsfood website Spicy Gazpacho in the My Fitness Pal database).
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    This is a recipe from my blog:

Coriander (Cilantro) Sambal

This is so simple, fresh and flavoursome. You can add more chilli if you want it hotter, or more coriander, or more lemon juice. Play around with the ingredients.

Here are some serving suggestions:

-As a sauce with grilled chicken/turkey/fish
    -As a dressing for salads
    -With grilled veggies, try serving it with grilled aubergine (eggplant) and courgette (zucchini) & yoghurt- its yummy!
    - Dressing for potato salad.
    - As a dip for pitta strips/ tortilla chips. (esp when mixed with plain yoghurt or cottage cheese!!)
    - Mixed through cous cous or quinoa
    - Mixed in pasta

This recipe will serve 4 people as a sauce/ accompaniment.

22 Calories per serving

Ingredients:

1 Large green bell pepper- chopped & deseeded.
    2 Garlic cloves, crushed
    1 Fresh Green Chili pepper (I use the seeds too for heat)
    40g (1/4 cup) Fresh Coriander (Cilantro) chopped.
    1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
    1 tsp fine white sugar
    Juice from 1 small lemon
    1 inch cube of fresh ginger root- chopped

Method- Bung everything in a blender/food processor & whiz until smooth!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Ground Turkey Quesadilla

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tortilla
    1 oz ground turkey
    cumin, to taste
    chili powder, to taste
    sriacha, to taste
    garlic powder, to taste
    ground black pepper, to taste
    4 tortilla chips, crushed
    1 tsp jalapeno, seeded and minced
    1/4 cup cilantro, minced
    1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cook the turkey with the spices in a skillet sprayed with Pam. Cook until the turkey is no longer pink.

2. In a large skillet sprayed with Pam, place the tortilla down. Cover half of the tortilla with cheese and cover with crushed chips, jalapeno, and cilantro. Cook for a minute and then flip one side over, to close. Cook for 4 minutes on one side, or until golden brown. Flip over and cook for 4 more minutes.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 261 calories
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: 1
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I had this for lunch today and brought it to work cold. I reheated it in the microwave and it was delicious. It would have been even better coming directly off the stove, which I knew after seeing the dripping cheese. It was really filling and really low in calories and really delicious!

PICTURE (optional): IMG_5477.jpg
  • cocobeenie
    cocobeenie Posts: 98
    Options
    Iblove cilantro and just bought a bunch. I cant wait to see more recipes!
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!
    I make a killer ceviche! I will def post later!
  • wannabahotmom
    Options
    bump
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    There's today and tomorrow left to enter this challenge!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    I recently had garlic, coriander, black pepper, and a dash of parmesan cheese on some broccoli. You let the edges of the broccoli start to brown a little. It was in all seriousness better than some steaks I've had.

Cilantro tea is very interesting also!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This is one of my husband's favorites. He loves fish and he loves tacos. So put them together and it's a guaranteed win. I like em too because the flavor is nice and crisp but more importantly it's a fast cook meal. I generally prefer to make my own taco seasoning and my own taco shells to be a bit healthier but everyone needs their quick fix meals right? And the stats on this are still decent!

bajatacos.png

Baja Fish Tacos

4 Servings | Total Time: 15 min | 300 Calories Per Serving

8 Taco Shells
    2 Tilapia Fillets
    1 Tbl Canola Oil
    1 cup Sour Cream
    2 Tbl Taco Seasoning Mix
    1 Tbl Fresh Cilantro, chopped
    1 Tbl Lime Juice
    1 cup Lettuce, shredded
    8 Tbl Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Cut tilapia into 1" pieces. Heat oil in a skillet. Season tilapia with 1/2 of the taco seasoning packet. Fry tilapia until cooked through and no longer translucent, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl mix together sour cream, cilantro, lime juice and the rest of the seasoning packet. Stuff tacos with fish, cheese, lettuce and sour cream mix.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am just beginning to use more spices and herbs so am looking for recipes...hope to see more.
    The fish taco sounds good (do not like tilipia so will change to another white fish). :-)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    An hour and a half is left to share your favorite cilantro dishes! Get to it!
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    It's now time to vote!
    Head on over to http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146 and vote for your favorite cilantro/coriander recipe!!

http://www.scribbld.com/customview.cgi?user=whiskey&styleid=27146

Voting ends Wednesday July 6th at 5PM PST!
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    BUMP