Is it healthy and safe to lose 26 pounds in 13-14 weeks?

Options
I was doing good with my diet and exercise and was feeling great until about 9 months ago and I gained 20-25 pound back. Now I want to get back down to that weight or under by then for my birthday party. But I don't know if that is healthy to lose that much so fast. Or can I lose more by that time?

Replies

• hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week is generally safe
  • crystalnichols395
    crystalnichols395 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    hhazzouri wrote: »

Thanks!
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had no problem health-wise losing at an average of 2lb a week since January, only had 35lbs to lose.

Had to stick to calories military style though! and tried hard to keep my vitamins and iron up with good food choices though which may have helped me stay healthy.

I will be honest, I didn't plan to lose that fast it just happened as I was a novice and didn't have a clue about deficeit calculations to start with.
    I don't think I could have kept losing at that rate for any longer though as my cal allowance was low at only 1200 and it was getting sooo very boring so I changed my loss rate to 0.5lbs a week to get the last 5 off.

Hope it works out for you.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much weight you have to lose in total.
  • ho11y4271
    ho11y4271 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes it's healthy and safe and can be done.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    If you are currently 90 pounds and short, I'd say no.
    If you are currently 400 pounds and 6'11", I'd say yes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Not if you are 26 pounds away from goal, which appears to be the OP's situation. That 2 pounds per week is for people with a lot of weight to lose.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is 1% of your body weight, max. 2 lbs a week is not a blanket safe rate of loss for everyone. That is generally meant for people with 75+ lbs to lose. In that time frame, you might be able to lose 13 lbs or less, safely.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was doing good with my diet and exercise and was feeling great until about 9 months ago and I gained 20-25 pound back. Now I want to get back down to that weight or under by then for my birthday party. But I don't know if that is healthy to lose that much so fast. Or can I lose more by that time?

Are you 50+lbs overweight right now?
    If you aren't then no it is not particularly realistic, healthy, safe or sustainable to try to lose 2 lbs or more a week.
    If you are less than 50 lbs overweight then .5 to 1 lb a week is more appropriate. If you are not actually overweight then .5 is most appropriate.
  • ho11y4271
    ho11y4271 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have 30lbs to lose and have been consistently losing 2lb a week. I'm getting all my nutrition and eating 1200-1300 calories a day so it can be done.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    OP, is 26 pounds your overall final goal?
    The question was whether it's healthy and safe. Just because something can be done, doesn't make it healthy and safe. Those are two different things, especially if you don't have that much to lose.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

I have 26lbs left and to lose at 2lbs/week I have to be eating 500-600cals a day. So no. No.
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ho11y4271 wrote: »
    I have 30lbs to lose and have been consistently losing 2lb a week. I'm getting all my nutrition and eating 1200-1300 calories a day so it can be done.

And you are thereby losing a much greater percentage of your lean mass (muscles) than you'll like when you get 'done'.

It's a thing. You might want to check it out.