Starting out properly for the first time

Hi everyone,

I am just writing to introduce myself and my goal.

I am currently 22 years old and am 16 stone 6 pounds.

I have always been big, although losing weight while at university, I have put it back on and more after moving back home with my parents.

My goal ultimately is to get down to a healthy weight around 10/11 stone. I know this will be a long way off but I am officially making the effort to start today.

I am a perpetual snacker and seem to eat when I am bored, is there any advice for this?

My excerise of choice, has to be swimming. I can happily swim for an hour doing backstroke but get out of breath doing the front crawl. Does anyone have any success stories with swimming as their main exercise?

If anyone is around who could support me on this journey, i would really appreciate it and would love to support others as well :)

Replies

• chrisbaker383
    chrisbaker383 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello, I'm 42 5'10" and weigh 170. Down from 190. I have had the most success from front crawl swimming. I'm not a very good at the front crawl though. After about 200 m I feel like I'm going to take a wrong breath. So, I bought a swimmers snorkel. I can swim for an hour easy. Currently, i have hit a plateau, so I'm going to try swimming gloves to promote lean muscle. As far as cravings for snacks go; oddly, this health kick I've been enjoying can be attributed to marijuana. I had a back that would go out often, leaving me unable to exercise. Fearing the opioids from the doctor, I tried marijuana. My life has changed since. While high, I am acutely aware of what I eat. Junk foods literally make me feel sick. I crave water and then fall asleep. Also, while high, my body tells me to eat better and exercise, so that's what I've done.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    ...I am a perpetual snacker and seem to eat when I am bored, is there any advice for this?...

Do things with your hands. Even playing video games, the hand/eye coordination engages your brain in multiple ways, far more than just watching the tele.