Boredom eating

Options
How do you keep yourself from eating when you're bored? Like I know you're suppose to just say no because you're not hungry, but whenever I get super bored it becomes really hard for me to keep myself disciplined. How do you keep yourself from eating when you're bored? Any fun tricks?

Replies

• ho11y4271
    ho11y4271 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd do something to occupy your mind, like reading, go for a walk, any hobby you might have. Eventually you should get used to just eating when you're hungry.
    I used to be a bored eater, not any more now. I've just got used to eating my meals or snacks within my calorie goals when I'm hungry.
  • internexus
    internexus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go out and play Ingress, it'll get your mind off the food and you'll be getting exercise as well. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When I get sufficient sleep, exercise, and protein, I don't get the boredom munchies.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    How do you keep yourself from eating when you're bored?

Go for a bike ride. Or a walk. Cuddle with my girlfriend. Hang out with a buddy.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I chew gum when I get the bordem craves.... like when watching TV or a slow day at work.... I also drink water which helps sometimes
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Don't get bored. The world is your playground.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Plan your day ahead of time. If there's food to look forward to and a plan it makes it easier to say no... Or you can plan around it and reap the consequences.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I replaced sedentary activities (like playing video games) with active ones. My house is a lot cleaner, the laundry no longer waits, my flowers and vegetables are all well - tended and my dogs enjoy 3 walks a day.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You could still eat .... 4 cups of raw spinach is like 60 cal ;)
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Gum and making tea. Esp. The tea because it takes a while to make and awhile to drink.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If it's when you're watching tv take up knitting :)
    If it's at work, I tell my colleagues I'm on a diet so I'm then too embarrassed to snack in front of them!
    My problem is reading - I love reading but unfortunately, like tv, I associate it with eating, and I can't knit and read. I like the gum idea though.
    If you're just bored and don't know what to do... Well, lucky you - make the most of it! I've just had a baby and wish I'd savoured being bored when I could!!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    puzzles
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem.... I also got into the bad routine of eating a snack when I get home (even when I'm not hungry)... Gum does help sometimes, other times I have an apple or something that takes a while to eat (oranges are great for this) because it's still eating but it isn't a bag of chips or m&ms. Also when I go for a walk when I get home I'm less likely to eat when I get home because it isn't the same routine.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Don't be bored. Do something. Play a game, read a book, go to a movie, visit a friend, call a friend, mow your lawn, get one of those adult coloring books that are so popular right now, whatever. There has to be something more fun that sitting around bored and stuffing your face.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    For me it's a place thing too. I'm more likely to snack watching tv in the living room since it's right next to the kitchen. If I feel snacky I make myself go to my room to watch tv. I don't really like to eat in my room.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Don't get bored. The world is your playground.

A big kid taught the 3yo twins I nanny for that word, "bored". It's awful, one should *ever be "bored", there is an entire world full of ways to occupy yourself. Read, create something, go for a walk, go out and do something kind for someone.
  • JustJud
    JustJud Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Coffee.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes from Louis CK...

“I’m bored’ is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless; it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you’re alive is amazing, so you don’t get to say ‘I’m bored.”

Other ideas include meal planning. I know exactly what I am going to eat and when I am going to eat it. Doesn't leave much room for grazing :)