What the trainer says

Options
My trainer said with the weight that I am 220lbs, 5'6, I should be LOSING 4-8LBS A WEEK! Is she crazy! Isn't the norm 1-2 lbs a week?

Replies

• limericky
    Options
    My trainer said with the weight that I am 220lbs, 5'6, I should be LOSING 4-8LBS A WEEK! Is she crazy! Isn't the norm 1-2 lbs a week?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Depending on your level of body fat, it is possible to lose more than 1-2 lbs per week even without trying to. A lot of it will be water, but your body can also handle a larger deficit than someone with less body fat. But at 5'6 and 220 I don't know if you could lost quite that quickly.

As someone who has studied to be a PT, I can tell you that not all certification exams are created equally. Some are for college graduates, and some are for highschool graduates. If your PT tells you something that makes you very uncomfortable, feel free to get a new one. YOU are paying for THEM. :flowerforyou:
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    I'm a trainer and I would never NEVER set a goal so high for anyone, 1 to 2 is the rule of thumb it's not the way it has to be you could lose more or maybe less. Who is your trainer certified with?
  • Go_Duke
    Go_Duke Posts: 66
    Options
    well if you haven't exercised in a long time the first couple of weeks you possibly will lose 4-8 lbs a week but its mainly water weight
    1-2 lbs a week is slower than we humans want but statistically ppl who lose slow tend to keep it off longer
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm a trainer and I would never NEVER set a goal so high for anyone, 1 to 2 is the rule of thumb it's not the way it has to be you could lose more or maybe less. Who is your trainer certified with?

That's a great question to ask. I'm going to make a thread about this actually.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    she's crazy. I started out at 209 lbs and I'm 5'6", I've never lost 4 lbs in one week.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    sounds like a trainer trying to keep business high by making lofty promises.. I've been a trainer for a long long time, and would never tell somebody that they should lose 4-8lbs/wk. Maybe that in the first week they could lose that much because of water. Its nearly impossible to lose 4-8lbs of FAT. That would be a huge caloric deficit.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If they are saying you will lose that the first week or two then level of to 1-2 a week then I'd say sure because that is pretty normal when you start a new plan until your body adjusts, but to say you will safely lose that consistently week after week would not be feasible. I agree get a different trainer. :flowerforyou:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary