Best Vegan Mac n' Cheese (Ever!)

Options
SpectacuLaura
SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
This is by far the best vegan mac n cheese recipe I've tried. I'm in love with it! It's so good my "meat and potatoes" boyfriend went back for seconds and has actually requested I make it again. :) Just wanted to share it with anyone interested in a dairy-free approach to this classic dish...

Baked Mac and Cheeze (from Vegan Yum Yum)
Serves 2-4

1/3 Cup Earth Balance Margarine
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 Tbs Low Sodium Tamari or Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Lemon Juice, fresh
1 Tbs Red Miso
1 Tbs Tahini
1 Tbs Tomato Paste
1 1/4 Cup Soy Milk
1/3 Cup Nutritional Yeast
1 Pinch Salt
Black Pepper, to taste

Begin by heating a sauce pan and adding the earth balance. Once melted, add flour and whisk vigorously to form a roux. To this paste, add the tamari, lemon, miso, tahini, and tomato paste and whisk until well incorporated. The mixture should still be thick and paste-like. Then slowly pour in the soymilk, whisking constantly, until it is completely incorporated. Add the yeast and mix well. Turn down the heat and cook the mixture until it thickens, whisking often. (You'll just want it to look like a thicker, cheese sauce- takes just a few minutes) Add salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the "cheeze sauce" mixture over 3 cups of cooked, dry, pasta (like elbows or shells or rotini) in a casserole dish and toss to mix. Top with breadcrumbs and bake at 400º for 25 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.

*You can easily make this gluten free too by subbing in gluten free pasta and breadcrumbs and using an alternative flour such as brown or white rice flour in place of the all-purpose traditional kind.

Replies