Help me start running

Options
Hi. I would like to start running. I've always wanted to run but was too nervous to go out in public. I need to add exercise into my weight loss plan. Can anyone give me some advice on how to start running. I'm working towards running half marathons next year when I retire. My health is good. Am I dreaming. I'm 60 this August and if I don't do this now I probably won't ever do it and that would be sad.

Replies

• natalialikescookies
    natalialikescookies Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did a c25k a few weeks ago and loved it! At first I had trouble running 1/4 mile/3min straight now I run 4-5miles 3 times a week!
    I highly recommend it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I second c25k
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Another one for C25K. There are lots of free apps and downloads that cover the runs, find one that you like and go with that, I preferred the ones where you are just told when to run, when to walk and when you are half way but other people like ones with music or motivational commentary.

I was really nervous of running outside when I started but found that of the people who actually noticed what I was doing there was not a single negative comment and almost everybody had a smile and a "good morning" for me.

Take it slow, even if at first it feels like you aren't moving much faster than walking, C25K builds up your stamina and cardio fitness, speed and distances over 5K can come later. Don't beat yourself up if you "fail" a run - just do that day or week over until you are happy to move on.

And most of all enjoy yourself!

• hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Seconding all this, especially jusbowers tips for progressing. It's a bit terrifying at first, but soon you realise most people don't notice much. Just stick your headphones in and you'll not notice any glances either.

I would definitely take it slow, it can be hard on the joints at first. But building slowly will help your joints and muscles acclimatise.

Doing a C25K programme was the best decision I ever made. Less than a year of training, and I've run my first 10K and I'm looking to complete my first half marathon next March!
  • ReneePerle
    ReneePerle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm half way through C25K and loving it. This is my third attempt - i keep stalling at week 7, but I think that's because I'm a smoker. Another thing I need to work on.

Still, I can run 10 mins straight now - I never thought I'd be able to do that!
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I loved Robert Ullrey's Couch25k programme.

It is hard to start with but you feel very good as you get stronger.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i did the c25k from zen labs
    there is the zombie run which is similar.
    Ingress is sort of a capture the flag

i just started running last year. i just finished my first half marathon.
    my recommendation is go to a running store and get a gait analysis to be properly fitted for shoes. go in and be honest. tell them you are just starting out. they can help fit the shoes to your feet and needs.
    also local stores often have workshops and running groups.
    good shoes are important. injury can really discourage a beginner

also, go slow and take rest days. most of us do too much at once too fast.

last, have fun. Runners are a very welcoming group and you can find lots of support if you'd like it. and if you don't have fun...you aren't going to want to do it.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    C25K is great. I started C25K when I was long distance walking but wanted more. I was really shy about running because I jiggle but I realized no one is watching me run and most people who are, are runners as well and are secretly rooting for you. I started running in January and completed a half marathon in April. Start with time, how long can you do it, then with distance, and lastly speed. Humans are built to run for long periods of time not fast ^_^ I'm really slow (5 mph maybe 5.5 mph) but a mile ran is a mile ran ^_^
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here....c25k!

Find a place you enjoy running and go there. Ignore everyone else you encounter. Put a hat on and pull the brim low if that helps. ;)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Am I dreaming. I'm 60 this August and if I don't do this now I probably won't ever do it and that would be sad.

I think that's some good motivation. When I started running I thought I was going to die. I didn't, but it sure felt like it. You'll probably experience that, too, don't give up because it gets easier.

And go slowly. Go as slow as you can and it will be much easier.
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I did a c25k a few weeks ago and loved it! At first I had trouble running 1/4 mile/3min straight now I run 4-5miles 3 times a week!
    I highly recommend it!

after a few weeks! running 4-5 miles! That's awesome, is that continuous or do you alternate running and walking? I started running 2-3 weeks ago now(slacking this past week) and I just can't push myself past just 1 mile/12 minutes. Although I did just quit smoking this past week!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You can do this, and there is no better time than the present! C25K sounds like great advice. I started running in my mid 40's and by 48, was doing half-'s and one marathon. It's a thrill you don't want to miss. I'm 59 now and, though I had some injuries that were stoppers for a while, I am back and can run. Hoping for a half within a year.

The good thing about running is that - for those of us who love it - it feels so great you stop giving literally any *kittens* at all about how you look or what other people think. You'll just be pitying all the people who think you're suffering and don't get how strong and awesome and powerful and fleet and flooded with endorphins you feel.
  • hawksfan881972
    hawksfan881972 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The C25K program is really good, but take it slow. Every other day at most. I wasn't able to take rest days (3 days of running in a row during Week 2. Darn schedule!), and ran myself into an injury.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. Seriously. I mentioned this in another thread. I literally went from couch to 5km after just hitting some weights for a bit. I didn't even focus on cardio AT ALL. I started running on Monday. I did 3km in 1 minute run/1 minute walk increments. On Tuesday I did 4km in 1.5 minute run/1 minute walk increments. On Wednesday I did 5km in 1.5 minute run/30 second walk increments. And today? I am planning on doing 7.5km in whatever run/walk increments I can manage. ALL OF THIS I owe to weight lifting.
  • ssakcik
    ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Another one who loves c25k. I started of in week 1 got being able to even run all the 1 minute intevals. I 've just unfinished week 7 and I can now run 3k without walking.
  • sweets1973
    sweets1973 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes do C25K I'm going to be starting week 3 on Monday
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I just finished c25k a month ago, t days before my 61st birthday never ran before in my life. Go for it!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. It'll make running 5km a breeze.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I am one of the few who did not start with C25k - but I did something similar. My neighborhood had too many hills for me to be able to walk and run when it said - so I ran in the flat cul de sacs and slowly added parts of the hills until I could run the entire 3 mile loop and then started adding distance. The older you are (I am in my late 40's) the more rest and protein you need to make sure you recover adequately. Also - I had to add strength training and that really helped keep me from having as many injuries. Strong quads help protect your knees. I also second the recommendation to go to a running store for a good shoe fitting and recommendation. Also, in many towns there are races that have team training that goes with it - that may help you meet other runners
  • RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k here. I just finished week 2 today. I'm using the active.com app, which lets you play your own music.