Remedies for sore muscles?

Options
Hey everyone. Just started working out and needless to say after a long break from it, my muscles are aching, especially my upper legs. Any advise on how to ease the pain after workouts? Thank you

Replies

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Are you doing full body workouts or splits? How many days a week are you looking to work out?

Generically, rest and light activity will help. Take at least a day off from working out, maybe two if you are really sore, then get back to it. On your rest day, if you can manage, for sore legs I'd do some walking and if you can deal with the soreness, some light jogging. Getting blood into the sore muscles will help them recover faster.

Oh, lots of Ibuprofen too :wink:
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Stretching, walking, and foam rolling. You can also take a hot bath in Epson salt.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Incorporate some BCAA's into your pre/intra/post workout, it'll help. Won't solve the problem right now but can keep you from getting that sore again or at least reduce it. Taken intra-workout it can give you more energy to do more, and post workout it can help reduce fatigue and soreness.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ice, ice, baby haha
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling, stretching, go for a walk. Getting some movement seems to loosen things up for me.
  • NASAwife13
    NASAwife13 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Ice bath if you can stand it
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use a TENS machine for both pain an general soreness. Its works pretty well and a cheapy one will run you about $35.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    For me-foam rolling, protein intake, magnesium, and walking.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    magnesium, vitamin c and aspirin
  • azfire5
    azfire5 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Stretching and a supplement called restoraid. I take it and it works very well
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Lots of good things above. Only thing I can think of that I didn't see is drink more water. There are also supplements the help repair muscles.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Nothing helps me other then resting or massage ...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Go for a slow paced bike ride or walk to work some of the soreness out especially if it's from lactic acid buildup. Have Beth give me a massage. Take a hot bath.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • lizzelspark
    lizzelspark Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I first started lifting weights I got massages weekly now my muscles are used to lifting so now I just do foam rolling and Epsom salt baths and works wonder
  • BadAssAries
    BadAssAries Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me & people on this site encouraged me not to "rest". I went for a long walk & came back & took a long hot bath (Epsom salt, sea salt, lavender & Rosemary essential oils, & baking soda). The next day I was back at my workout. Point: move, don't "rest."