What's wrong with benching in the rack?

Options
2»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding "safely spotting a squat" it depends on what type of gym you are at.

It's hard enough getting a competent bench spotter -- unless I'm at a powerlifting gym the odds of getting a competent spotter on a squat are pretty darn low in my opinion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with benching in a rack. Just make sure you move the bench when you're done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it at all. Do your thing.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Thanks for y'all's opinions :) I don't think I'd ever ask a stranger to spot for me for a few reasons. One, I don't think I'd trust it as much. Two, I don't like to ask people for help, especially strangers, so I'd be more worried about taking up their time than my own lift. And last, I don't think anyone would have the patience to spot me! I can be pretty slow when it comes to increasing my weight because I'm gonna get all my reps in no matter how many times I gotta put it down in between!

I do appreciate the perspective on using the rack when I could just get a spotter. I guess I just figure if you're going to be annoyed instead of asking me to work in, I don't have much sympathy. No offense intended. That's just how I feel.

So you understand you could simply ask for a spot, but you're going to hog up the squat rack for something other than squats anyway. I don't have much sympathy. That's just how I feel.

No, sir. I'm going to use the power rack and share with whoever asks to work in :)

Which means you'll have to move the bench, move the safety bars, move the bar rack up, change the weights out, and then reverse the process between each set. That's completely unreasonable and you know it. No one's going to bother to ask to work in because they're not going to want to deal with all that crap. All to save you the "massive" inconvenience of asking someone for a spot once in awhile.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks for y'all's opinions :) I don't think I'd ever ask a stranger to spot for me for a few reasons. One, I don't think I'd trust it as much. Two, I don't like to ask people for help, especially strangers, so I'd be more worried about taking up their time than my own lift. And last, I don't think anyone would have the patience to spot me! I can be pretty slow when it comes to increasing my weight because I'm gonna get all my reps in no matter how many times I gotta put it down in between!

I do appreciate the perspective on using the rack when I could just get a spotter. I guess I just figure if you're going to be annoyed instead of asking me to work in, I don't have much sympathy. No offense intended. That's just how I feel.

So you understand you could simply ask for a spot, but you're going to hog up the squat rack for something other than squats anyway. I don't have much sympathy. That's just how I feel.

I could, but no matter how direct I am with my instructions, people don't listen. It's really
    Bloody simple - unless the bar is ok my throat and I am turning blue, don't touch my bar.

Find a better gym.