Probably stupid question but....

Options
Lets say I my daily calorie goal is 1400. I intake 1900 and then work off 500 cals which would come out to 1400. Would just intaking 1400 calories w/workout have the same impact on your weight loss for the day? I do work out 4-5 times a week but some weeks I have to work 15 hour days and it get hard to fit it in. Just curious

Thanks in advance

Replies

• jasthespazz
    Options
    you'll get a lot of debate about this. however, I've been there and done that and personally, I think you should eat what you have burned off at the gym. you'll lose weight at the same rate, or maybe even faster since your metabolism has been cranked up due tothe extra food and exercise. just make sure what you eat is healthy. it doesnt make sense to exercise then grab a caramel and muffin when you're done. but you know that already ;)
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    you'll probably lose weight doing the calories only, but maybe not as fast as you would like.

obviously physical activity really gets your metabolism going and makes you fit, builds muscles, improves cardiovascular and heart health and speeds up weight loss, improves toning and the look of your body.

but yeah, if you can't fit the exercise in every day, do the calories, try to fit things in where you can (walking the flights of stairs, parking further away than normal, getting off the bus / train a stop or 2 early and walking) to improve your activity level...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If the net calories are the same on the workout days vs. non-workout days, then you will lose weight either way. If you can't workout, then just eat 1400 and don't worry about it.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    yeeesss....you might lose weight, but you will most probably not be fit & healthy......also working out helps building muscle - which helps to increase your metabolism .....which means you can potentially lose more weight...

The way I look at it I eat less to lose weight - but I exercise to become healthy and fit!!

If you dont have time for a workout make sure you make some time for walks at the very least...
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Essentially yes, for the short term. Your weight loss will probably slow down eventually without your body becoming more fit. If you have alot of weight to lose, you will most likely have less weight but your body may not look like you lost much at all. Exercise will help tone the body and give you a more striking physique. Just my opinion. I'm not a personal trainer and I don't play one on TV, Good luck to you.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    always eat the exercise calories.

nice explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

If you asked athletes and/or fit people who have maintained a healthy fit weight throughout their lives or at least for several years, you will not find any of them debating this.

Unfortunately, it is widely misunderstood, and those who do not understand it will be hard-pressed to get to goal and maintain for any period of time.

blessings.
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's only my opinion, but while eating 1400 cals will still lose the weight for a while, you will soon stop losing. By just eating low calories and not exercising you are losing lean muscle, but you need lean muscle to help burn calories. You are better off eating 1400 on your non workout days and 1900 whenever you can fit a workout in than just eating 1400 every day and not exercising.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options

nice explanation:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

If you asked athletes and/or fit people who have maintained a healthy fit weight throughout their lives or at least for several years, you will not find any of them debating this.

Unfortunately, it is widely misunderstood, and those who do not understand it will be hard-pressed to get to goal and maintain for any period of time.

blessings.

If only that were the question here. Those of us that have been on here a while and are trying to actually LOSE weight don't quiet get the concept of pouring 4 gallons out of a 5 gallon bucket and then putting 4 gallons back in hoping it will be empty one day. Now it you WANT to keep 5 gallons in that bucket it makes perfect since to fill it back up again.
  • RSO206
    RSO206 Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies!! So far I have been getting in my 4-5 days. I was just curious so I dont feel so bad if I dont workout. Its so funny that I now feel bad for not working out.
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    In my book, there's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm glad to notice others who feel the same way about missing exercise. I have to remind myself sometimes that my GOAL is to exercise 3 days per week and anything more is gravy. If I don't get to exercise on a particular day (schedule too hectic, traveling, etc.) then I don't let myself feel bad because I've already reached (or still have plenty of days to reach) my goal for the week. But it still gets my goat when I don't get to exercise... LOL
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

nice explanation:

blessings.

If only that were the question here. Those of us that have been on here a while and are trying to actually LOSE weight don't quiet get the concept of pouring 4 gallons out of a 5 gallon bucket and then putting 4 gallons back in hoping it will be empty one day. Now it you WANT to keep 5 gallons in that bucket it makes perfect since to fill it back up again.

I posted the thread so that you could READ it and then understand. I posted the thread to be helpful to the poster because it is accurate advice on how to lose weight effectively, and for good. Good luck on your journey.

blessings.