Spaghetti/Pasta Measurer Completely Differs From Nutrition Facts on Package Help Needed

Hi, I'm just gonna get straight to the point here. I'm really trying to get accurate pasta/spaghetti measurements here, but I'm confused by the readings I'm getting. I'm gonna be detailed here.

I bought a spaghetti measurer on Amazon, it measures by servings, link is here for reference.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B017NG9ON2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now, on Wikihow, it says that 1 serving of spaghetti is 2 oz, 2 servings is 4 oz, 4 servings is 8 oz etc. Link here. http://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Dry-Pasta

Now, let's say I'm measuring No Name 100 percent Durum Wheat Spaghetti. I take out enough for 4 servings(8oz), according to the measurer. Yet, I've almost roughly taken out half of my 900 gram spaghetti package. 8 ounces is 226 grams. So how could this discrepancy be?

According to the nutritional facts on the package, I'll be eating 300 calories per 85 grams. If this is correct, half of the package will be 1641 calories when finished. (450/85=5.29, 5.29 x 310=1641.) Yet instead of 450 grams, the spaghetti measurer says I am eating 4 servings which is 8 oz which is 226 grams. So who's correct here? The measurer or the nutritional facts on the package?

Lol, I hope someone can help me out with this, because it's been irritating me lately. I'm either eating 800 calories or 1600 everytime.

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Weighing dry or cooked pasta is the only way to be accurate that I've found.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Toss the measuring gadget and stick with the scale. I'm not sure how that gadget is supposed to be consistent. What if one brand of pasta is longer than another? Or Shorter? Or thinner? Or thicker? If you go by weight it doesn't matter what size or shape your pasta is. 100g is 100g.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    The pasta measuring tool is for the average person who tends to make too much and wants to eliminate waste. It is not intended to be used for someone tracking calories. The servings on the package are not the same as the servings for the tool. Weight the noodles.
  • PhillySonic
    PhillySonic Posts: 2 Member
    Ok, got it, I'll start weighing them now. Thanks guys.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    The servings on the tool are more of "actual" servings, as most people eat more than 2 oz at a time. It's measuring out probably closer to 4oz per person.
  • taraw0503
    taraw0503 Posts: 28 Member
    Make sure you are weighing cooked pasta, not dry.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited April 2017
    taraw0503 wrote: »
    Make sure you are weighing cooked pasta, not dry.

Sorry, usually the package indicates the dry weight for a pasta serving, and should be weighed as such. The database entry you use should also then be the dry weight entry.

If you do weigh the cooked pasta instead, use a cooked pasta entry. Thus may be harder to find in the database and a bit less accurate due to variations in cooking.

ETA: year old thread. *kitten*