Workout DVD's...advice please!

Options
Hi all,

i was wondering what DVD's everyone here uses or would recommend. I see a lot of people mentioning the 30day shred and pX90 ones and i am not sure which ones i should be looking at for the best results.

I have ideally 10lbs that i still want to lose until i get to goal, but i am also focusing on toning and re-shaping my body so i do understand that i may not lose the whole 10lbs, which is fine with me if i can lose inches instead :smile:

i currently have a few old workout DVD's indoors and i have been doing Coleens Brand New Body Workout for 30mins a day for the past 3 weeks, but i really don't think that this DVD is the best one for me and so any advice from you would be much appreciated!

Replies

• FatGirlSlim89
    Options
    Hey!

I think the best workout is Ministry Of Sound: Pump It Up! The Ultimate Dance Workout [DVD] with Deanne Berry and her team. I've had this and I love it, proper heavy workout. I haven't tried the Jillian workouts but they are meant to be fantastic.

I generally stay away from celeb workouts as I find they're geared towards the celeb in question earining money other than us losing weight!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Anything that makes you sweat is good. The ones that you mention are just the latest ones on the market and both are great.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've done the 30DS and didn't lose a lot of weight (about 2lbs in all), but did lose a lot more inches! Since then, I've become a bit of a Jillian addict and used Banish Fat, boost metabolism; No More Trouble Zones and 6week 6 pack (<<-- Am currently doing this and lost 3lbs and a few inches). The good thing is that these are quite cheap and IMO are effective. I've not tried p90x, but would like to - it's just too expensive for me at the moment!

You can view previews on YouTube so you can see what kind of workouts they are.
  • ljw556
    ljw556 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser DVD is good - it's only 6 quid in tescos at the moment and it's completely changed the shape of my legs!
  • shikala
    shikala Posts: 9
    Options
    if u want to start with something very mild to get u moving u can try Leslie Sansone otherwise if u want to feel like a rocket :P Chalene Johnson is very good and supportive. Jillian is also good but i dont like her voice and her body language she looks rough. if u like yoga Rodney Yee is very good.
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend anything by Jillian Michaels. You may not loose any weight but you will tone up with her dvds. The 30 day shred and Ripped in 30 are great work outs, plus only 25 minutes which is so easy to fit in! Good luck. :happy:
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Hollywood Trainer's Cardio-Sculpt - like a Pump Class but only needs 1 or 2 sets of light dumbbells and enough space to lie down for push-ups and abs, no travelling around the room.
  • Mamalee0510
    Options
    Turbo jam cardio mix #1 and p90x.

I did turbo jam after my first kid and lost 35 pounds in 4 months...good luck!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    keep an eye open in morrisons (uk) for jillian dvds, they often have them on offer by the check outs, not seen any for a while so they might be due another stint. i should have bought them when i had the chance but not got enough floor space anywhere near a dvd playing object. don't forget to see if you need additional equipment when buying them, nothing worse than getting a bargin then learning you need to buy more stuff to do it
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Hey!

I think the best workout is Ministry Of Sound: Pump It Up! The Ultimate Dance Workout [DVD] with Deanne Berry and her team. I've had this and I love it, proper heavy workout. I haven't tried the Jillian workouts but they are meant to be fantastic.

I generally stay away from celeb workouts as I find they're geared towards the celeb in question earining money other than us losing weight!

Love love love this, the fact that the women are all super pretty helps as it makes you more determined!! the first 2 were definitely the better of the series

I will add that if you are used to going to the gym, and suddenly do a very bouncing around on the spot dvd...STRETCH AFTER!! My calves were aching for days as I didn't really cool down from it properly
  • PositiveGoals
    Options
    PX90 is pretty hardcore. I would not attempt that one unless you are fit and your body is already used to the activity. If you are just starting out a good place to start would be DVD's by Leslie Sansone. She's a bit hyper and annoying. But it's basically turning a walk into arobics. Great way to get your body used to moving before you delve into the hardcore stuff. I am way to old and fat to do something like PX90. My 17 year old son does it. He is really religious about working out and it even challenges him. If you only have 10 lbs to lose, any arobic dvd combined with proper diet should have you in shape within a months. Good luck.
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I am doing Rosemary Conleys Real Results Workout which is brilliant :happy:

It is divided into sections so depending on how long you have got, you can do as many or as few sections as you want which is great if you are short for time, there is even an express abs section in just 4 minutes a day.

The warm up is 7 mins, then there is a 23 min fat burning aerobics section, 2 toning sections, 10 minutes each, floor and standing, an express hip and thigh section. You only have to do it 3 times a week to get results and the whole workout burns 500 calories.

Definitely gets my recommendation :smile:
  • lily4u2
    lily4u2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Turbo jam cardio mix #1 and p90x.

I did turbo jam after my first kid and lost 35 pounds in 4 months...good luck!
  • lily4u2
    lily4u2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! Chalene Johnson all the way!! But dont just stop at Turbo Jam.................theres Turbo Fire and Chalean Extreme. I have them all, and although like you (little to lose), they provided me with losing that and toning!! She is so inspirational, motivating and full of helpful tips and knowledge the whole way through the series!! I have also done 7 weeks of Insanity, that was soooooo hard out and not as enjoyable as Chalene. My husband is on his 3rd attempt to get past week 2 of P90X!! I tried one of his DVDs and nearly died, hence to say, I didnt even make 5 mins into it (and Im pretty fit).!!!
    Look all of these up on YouTube, and the BeachBody.com website, FB pages, look at the zillions of before and after photos on those FB pages (real, everyday people like you and me), and make your own thoughts.
    I keep hearing and reading about Jillian Michaels, and have one of her DVDs, but she is no comparison to Chalene!!
    I know this was a novel, but I hope it helped!:flowerforyou:
  • sd892310
    sd892310 Posts: 151
    Options
    Thanks for all tbhe replies, looking into the Turbo Jam and Jillian Michaels DVDs at the moment, might just order both up and see how i get on with them! Looking forward to getting stuck into it and get rid of these stubborn "yuck" areas lol!!