Any nurses (or mothers!) out there?

Options
fitnessjch
fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
I took a tablet last night (about 10 hours ago) and felt like it was a little stuck in my throat last night, as I didnt take enough water. I was already half asleep when I took it, and fell right back to sleep again.

This morning it is really painful, and I had some toast to try and get it to go down further. Now I cant talk, as I feel as if if I open my mouth, my gag reflex might kick in.

Any advice? PLEASE?!

Replies

• kldobbs02
    kldobbs02 Posts: 8
    Options
    If the pill is still actually there... I guess I would suggest drinking a lot of water today to try to lubricate the throat and loosen the pill up a bit to get it to move. Trying to clear your throat might help also, but try not to constantly do it as it might irritate your throat more and just cause you more discomfort.

Good luck! Sorry I can't be of more help
  • MissVV
    MissVV Posts: 19
    Options
    What kind of pill was it? it's probably disolved in yoru throat overnight and irritated it... i think the only thing to do is drink lots of water and wait it out i'm afraid.
  • mizzsolero
    mizzsolero Posts: 47
    Options
    if had that before, eating hurts so much!!
    drink loads of water, loads and loads of it!

good luck! let us know if it helped!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It hurts like its still stuck there :cry:
  • mizzsolero
    mizzsolero Posts: 47
    Options
    I think you should consult your GP... better be save then sorry?
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    I'd be very surprised if it was still there, it would most likely have dissolved overnight and what you're feeling now is the irritation left by it dissolving in your throat :( If you can gargle with soluble aspirin that's really good for sore throats, if not take soluble paracetamol and drink plenty as others have said - I'm sure it will start feeling better soon.xxx
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that it may have dissolved there overnight and irritated it. If it was anything with a plastic type coating there could possibly be something there but that would be rare. My best suggestion (I'm an RN) is to drink lots of water and try an over the counter throat numbing spray to help ease the pain. I also highly recommend contacting your primary physician, just to be safe. Be sure to tell them the type of pill, type of coating, how much, and how many. They will be able to give you the best advice, and ease your mind! :)
  • summerx275
    summerx275 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am a pharmacist, and would believe that almost certainly it would have dissolved. As recommended above, you can call your MD to have him take a look, but in the mean time, drink lots of water and use a throat numbing spray such as chloraseptic. I imagine it just irritated the spot where it was sitting.
  • CBaumgardner7
    CBaumgardner7 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I'm a nurse also. Do what everyone is advising you. Hope you feel better! :)
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Many pills say drink with at least 8oz of water. Depending on the pill's composition, some swell as they dissolve. Please be more careful in the future. You could have choked, especially since you were half asleep.