Help - belly fat? :(

Options
From when I started my weight loss journey, I've lost 10 lbs. I notice it everywhere - the sides of my hips are smaller, my legs are tremendously smaller, and so are my breasts. I do high intensity interval training, running, elliptical, abs, (situps, etc) weight training, everything. I've worked so hard but I notice NOTHING on my stomach. I want a muscular stomach and abs, but I'm not even close. My stomach looks just like it used to. The fat hasn't even gone down, or hardened up. It's seriously disappointing. Any tips? What am I doing wrong? Yes, I eat healthy every day. Maybe I don't get enough protein? I try to get in the negative numbers every day for protein. When should I see it getting smaller like the rest of my body?

Replies

• mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    bump! i have the same problem!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    it's probably just the way we are made, where our body holds onto fat and the last place to leave. It is discouraging but I think you are doing the right things. The only thing is to reduce body fat all over. There are so many things that claim to reduce belly fat! some of them are worth a try, like sleeping more (lowers cortisol which seems to make belly fat) more protein, more dairy. But HIIT and a good diet are the most likely to do it, it just takes time...
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It might be because you are an apple shape, which means your stomach is bigger than your legs. I am a pear shape which means I have bigger thighs and hip area. I have worked out so hard, have lost 20 pounds and it seems like I have barely lost it in that thigh area. It's very frustrating but I have seen a little progress. I just keep telling myself that if I keep at it I will eventually lose it in that area. Good luck!
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I've definitely seen plenty of similar threads, so you are not alone! I know my belly doesn't look much smaller than when I started, either. Seems to be the absolute last place that we lose fat.
    My personal plan is to work on my abs while I go, because even though I can't see them yet, I'll know that when my belly fat does finally burn off, I've got a killer six pack to reveal! LOL =)
  • megankayden
    megankayden Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Same problem!! I have always had "stretchy fat" the kind you can "pinch an inch" and just had a baby 6 months ago which means you ca "pinch a couple of inches" of this stretchy...yucky fat and I want it GONE!! Please help! (I guess breast feeding has a small part to play, it tends to make you hold onto those last extra pounds in the most annoying of areas..)
  • mjmartinez1239
    Options
    is ur belly fat on ur lower ab area or is it like a little pot belly? try reverse sit ups, planks, slide planks...theres many more but those r some that worked for me...also try MMA conditioning, its the best work out ever! ive done bootcamp and curves it just didnt help but if u try the MMA conditioning class u will totally fall in love!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there isn't a way to spot reduce. The only thing we can do is to continue doing cardio and watching the types of food we eat. There's a saying that abs aren't made in the gym, they're made in the kitchen. Keep doing what you're doing and it will eventually start flattening out. You can also add strength training and concentrate on your core. This will help tone and tighten the muscles underneath which will help pull those muscles in. Once the fat is reduced enough, you will start seeing all of your hard work paying off. I didn't start seeing a reduction in my belly fat until I was about 5 lbs away from my goal... but I'm also 5'2". You may see changes earlier if you are taller. Hang in there. It will come with your continued dedication. :)
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Judging from the pictures in your profile it looks like you aren't at a particularly high BMI right now. As a result its harder for you to lose those last few pounds. It could simply be that it till just take longer to see a visible stomach result due to your already lower BMI.

The other thing could simply be that you are doing weight training. I've heard many time over that as your abs gain muscle it can cause the appearance of a "bulge" in your stomach area. This will likely just go away as you continue doing what your are doing now.
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of supplements that recent studies have shown promise that they may help us lower body fat. One is CLA and the other is l-carnetine. I haven't used either long enough to have any personal results yet. They may be worth cheating out.
  • kissenkate15
    Options
    OMG me too!!!!!! Everything has slimmed down and toned up except my stomach! I am at a loss right now. I do the elliptical daily and everything is shaping up except for my tummy. I wish it would because honestly that is the area I am most worried about. Not that my thinner thighs has not made me very happy, it has but I want my tummy to be gone. I don't expect abs but a somewhat flat tummy would be nice.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    From when I started my weight loss journey, I've lost 10 lbs. I notice it everywhere - the sides of my hips are smaller, my legs are tremendously smaller, and so are my breasts. I do high intensity interval training, running, elliptical, abs, (situps, etc) weight training, everything. I've worked so hard but I notice NOTHING on my stomach. I want a muscular stomach and abs, but I'm not even close. My stomach looks just like it used to. The fat hasn't even gone down, or hardened up. It's seriously disappointing. Any tips? What am I doing wrong? Yes, I eat healthy every day. Maybe I don't get enough protein? I try to get in the negative numbers every day for protein. When should I see it getting smaller like the rest of my body?

My arms are the same way. But for your stomach, if you start doing some core exercises like situps, or resistance/weight training, then the muscles you build will help you burn more FAT in your cardio exercises :)
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Same here, I look smaller everywhere else but I still got some moobs and a pot belly I really want to get rid of.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The cleaner I eat, the more difference I see in my stomach area. Abs/ flat stomach are about 80% diet related. Unfortunately you can't spot reduce, but try eating mostly complex carbs, lots and lots of veggies, some fruit, and keep up with the exercise, especially the HIIT. Increase the weights you are lifting... how many times a week are you working out? I aim for 100grams of protein per pound of body weight, at least... biggest difference was when I cut out pasta, white rice and white bread. Stick with it, good luck to you :)