Eating at other peoples houses

Options
I have a problem that I could use some help with.

I have started to work with this girl with disabilities, like her assistant. Since she is under 18 she still lives at home. I work either 10 hour shifts that include eating both lunch and dinner with her or 5-6 hour shifts that includes one meal with her.

We usually cook together, but it is always the same things that she likes, and trying to change it would not be possible. And she is completely anal about following recipies. (If it says 75 g of oil, it cant be 74 or 76.)

Sometimes the family cooks for us, or we have leftovers from the day before or similar. And it is SO nice of them to always give food to the assistants to, and my wallet really welcomes this.

The only thing is. It is not always healthy food. It is not superbad, fast food or anything. Once they made some sort of veggie thing in the oven, it was really good. After I'd eaten it I realized half (!!!) a bottle of olive oil went into the four portions of vegetables. And they are already superaccomodating to my veganism so I really can't tell them to make "diet food" either.

So here is the problem: How do I eat and log this food when I don't know what it contains, while I still want to lose weight? Especially on the long days, because if I work 10 hours I don't have time to go to the gym in the same day and work some of the calories off.

I've tried eating really small portions, but I've ended up being hungry soon after. And I can't be tired for work, because i need constant focus on the girl or her disability means she can get hurt. So I really don't want to go hungry/tired at work!

This is 4-6 days a week. How do I work around this?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, this is tricky, as it is a work situation and really not much flexibility. If you are working a "2 meal" day, would it work to pack your own food for one of the meals and eat with the family for the other meal? Or could you bring along some kind of side dish to share with the family for one of the meals?
    I don't quite know how to log the meals except to ask what they are called and look in the database - I'm constantly surprised at how many different things are in there, it's rare that I don't find what I'm looking for in there. Of course, if you didn't cook it you don't know exactly what is in it, but you will have enough of an idea to find something similar in the database.
    Otherwise, it might just mean eat what is available, and look for lower cal options for your other meals, or fit in an extra run or workout before work on 2 meal days!
    Oh, another thought - read up on zigzagging your calories and make the long work days the higher cal days.
  • mizzsolero
    mizzsolero Posts: 47
    Options
    pff, thats a really tough one!
    I live with my partner, who eats all day (junk junk junk) but never gains a pound. and I just sit there watching haha. its agony!
    When I cook dinner, I cook a small portion for me and a bigger portion for him (he gets gravy chips cheese, I leave those out on my plate)
    I get hungry just from watching him eat, and I drink a glass of water mixed with a shot of apple cider vinegar wich makes me feel fuller. you can buy it at any healthstore (atleast here in the uk you can) it also cleans out your body and makes your skin look wonderfull!
    you should give it a shot.. might work?
  • 90210UK
    90210UK Posts: 81
    Options
    Id you really want to avoid it you should bring a packed lunch. Explain to people why and they are sure to understand and support you. I doubt it will offent them and then you can keep track of what you eat.

If you dont know what is going into these meals then it is impossible to judge the calorie amount. Some foods are so high in sodium and fats thatyou wouldnt even realise and it will jepordise your weight loss.
  • teens62
    teens62 Posts: 39
    Options
    Im like Honnibalz, Take your own lunch, meals. Tell them the mission you are on, they may surprise you and join you, They may join mfp.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Im like Honnibalz, Take your own lunch, meals. Tell them the mission you are on, they may surprise you and join you, They may join mfp.

I agree with this. There is nothing wrong with bringing your own foods. Just explain your goals and that on MFP you have to meticulously count and keep track of nutrients and calories which is simply easier done if you make your own foods. That way they know that you are not snubbing them or something, and like said before, they may even see what you are doing as something that they would want to try.
  • IngeborgB
    IngeborgB Posts: 27
    Options
    Hmm. Yeah, I will try to bring my own lunchboxes for at least one of the meals. That would help a lot! I hope that they can understand why!

I am also going to try to make sure that at least I can have salad with every meal, even tho the girl doesn't want it!

Thank you for all the good advice, they will really help. I just hope that this job is not going to ruin everything I've worked for!