Migraines?

Options
Does anyone else suffer from migraines? It really makes me lack motivation for working out when I have a headache every day and migraines several days per week. Anything that has helped anyone else? I've been on multiple medications already with no luck except terrible side effects

Replies

• CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I had been suffering for a solid month. Started taking allergy meds and noticed that it took the edge off just a bit, so my doc said that Flonase was a sure thing. I was stunned. And cured. I have missed a dose or two and the headaches come right back.

So, if there is a lot of pollen near you, it's worth considering allergies. Otherwise, keep hydrated!
    Hope you feel better soon.
  • littlehappystitches
    littlehappystitches Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try propranolol tablets they really work after 2-3 weeks.get them from your doctor They are beta blocker and lower your blood pressure but they can cure or reduce migraines I was getting 2-3 migraines a week for years but now I have none! Also. Change your diet change to dairy free and Soda free especially diet ones. I also cut out chocolate and processed meats in packets and lastly change to caffeine free tea and coffee. I'm not saying it will work for everyone but after years of meds that didn't work and years of suffering I now have my life back. I hope it helps also drink loads more water good luck
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Used to suffer from migraines all the time..3 things that help keep them at bay are 1) no aspartame. If I have a can of diet soda the next morning I have a migraine, 2) no birth control pills. After I had my first child I went on birth control and literally had a migraine every single day. Saw an obgyn and she said that with my history of migraines I should never ever be on birth control pills because the extra estrogen is triggering my migraines, and 3) crappy/processed food. If I have a few days in a row of crappy eating I get a migraine. I have been getting them for as long as u can remember so even with these three things in mind I still get an occasional migraine but these three things are definite triggers.
  • chadgledhill
    chadgledhill Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sometimes simply drinking grapefruit juice gets rid of my headaches...
  • wellsandy
    wellsandy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are new medications that should be approved in the next couple years that look like they will completely change many people's lives. Look up the information on new antibody drugs for migraines.
  • Amanuebel
    Amanuebel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For me: not sleeping too much or little, watching alcohol intake, limited processed foods, staying on my anxiety med are preventive. Imitrex may or may not get rid of migraine for me. Your migraines are much more frequent than mine. Have you looked into Botox? I had some for cosmetic reasons but it's also seemed to reduce frequency of migraines. Insurance may cover Botox for migraines for your frequency.
  • shanna_wainwright
    shanna_wainwright Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Chronic migraines actually run in my family. Every single female in my family gets them (thanks Grandma!). Try taking a magnesium supplement in addition to your regular vitamin. Studies have shown that increasing your magnesium helps reduce the occurance of migraines. For me- I went from several debilitating migraines a month (each lasting several days- and I'm taking full on- in bed crying, vomiting, crazy auras, and intense -worse than unmediated 10cm gunna have the baby now contractions- kinda pain stabbing thru one side of me head). To only having a few a year.
    Reduce the amount of florescent light you're exposing yourself to (it can be a big trigger), and track your migraines and symptoms side by side with your food- finding a trigger can help your avoid them.

If that fails... I know people that swear by marijuana- a few hits and the migraine is instantly gone..... And there is apparently no rebound.
  • shanna_wainwright
    shanna_wainwright Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh and I second the no birth control (at least hormonal). You probably get more migraines around your period, and the birth control basically acts like everyday is those high hormone days.
  • PrincessK90210
    PrincessK90210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    swebb4209 wrote: »
    Does anyone else suffer from migraines? It really makes me lack motivation for working out when I have a headache every day and migraines several days per week. Anything that has helped anyone else? I've been on multiple medications already with no luck except terrible side effects

I just got over a nasty one yesterday. I think my lack of motivation comes from a lot of stuff but migraines always make me stop working out. You're not alone. I'm not on any meds though. i'm too afraid to talk to my doctor. I always hoped that eating healthier and losing weight would make them stop. I basically eat junk food lol
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Holy cow. I used to have very frequent migraines. My doctor, who fancied himself a headache expert, tried all sorts of awful drugs, that didn't do much. Then, thankfully, he retired, and my new doctor told me to lower my sodium intake, which is now generally below MFP limits, and I rarely have a migraine, and if I do, I can get rid of it with Excedrin. WHO KNEW? And I'd suffered from migraines since I was 18. I'm not a sue-happy person, but I thought about suing my first doctor, because of all the time I spent in bed sick, while my son was growing up. But then, I realized it wouldn't really change or help anything. If he was still practicing, I would totally sue him, to get him to quit with the drugs. My life is so much better now!!
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I do, very badly. I've lost vision, blacked out, had all the fun sensitivity issues, you name it :/ I've been dealing with them since I was 2 so I've been on a lot of meds, most of which do nothing, some that actually made things worse for me.

Some of my big triggers are: the weather (not fun in OK!), too much/too little water, too much/too little sleep, certain foods/aspartame, exposure to loud noise/weird lights for too long, post-stress, etc.

Right now, since it's tornado season here, I've cut back on my heavy running (I have to watch my water and sodium) and stuck with walking and yoga on the days I can. Unfortunately, this whole last week has been a series of migraine days and 'tender' headed days. I take a few supplements because of dr diagnosed deficiencies and I take magnesium as well. Eating well and exercising regularly do help over time (for me at least)- it does not cure them or get rid of them though.
  • theswan76
    theswan76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I get migraines, too. My doctor finally prescribed a beta blocker to help prevent them, and it's working pretty well.

Have you tried taking B-2 vitamins? I did that for a while and it helped a lot.
  • swebb4209
    swebb4209 Posts: 99 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had been suffering for a solid month. Started taking allergy meds and noticed that it took the edge off just a bit, so my doc said that Flonase was a sure thing. I was stunned. And cured. I have missed a dose or two and the headaches come right back.

So, if there is a lot of pollen near you, it's worth considering allergies. Otherwise, keep hydrated!
    Hope you feel better soon.

• swebb4209
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that responded. Those are all very helpful tips. I have terrible allergies year round, I'm literally allergic to grass and trees :( birth control could definitely be a cause, I will talk with my doctor about this. I'm currently on propranolol but it makes me feel very sluggish. I have trouble sleeping but disliked the after effect of the sleep meds my doctor tried. I will try these tips though! Also, I don't ever drink diet cokes. I think diet drinks are terrible. My eating habits could contribute, but I'm working on fixing that now. I went all week with one headache and then today this migraine hit me and won't stop. I take aleve, I can't take excederin because it causes rebound headaches for me for some reason. But thanks everyone!!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I have prescription meds for migraines - IMITREX/SUMATRIPTAN - wonder drug. I don't get headaches very often any more tho so don't need it. Barometric preassure changes are a trigger for me.
  • swebb4209
    Options
    KareninLux wrote: »
    I have prescription meds for migraines - IMITREX/SUMATRIPTAN - wonder drug. I don't get headaches very often any more tho so don't need it. Barometric preassure changes are a trigger for me.

I have this script also for as needed. The first few times I took it, it made me sick. It's super expensive with my insurance