Weightloss comments- The good, bad and just plain annoying

Options
2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've been fortunate. I've not had any negative comments about my weight loss. I do get comments from people who are surprised by what I eat while losing weight/maintaining weight loss but they aren't negative, just more like "I'm surprised you eat all of that."

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I only get negative comments from one man at work - most are positive. This one man though, says I was "perfect before" (I guess 200lb at 5'3" is perfect for him) and now I'm "too boney", I look "tired and sick" and I need to "stop killing myself to lose weight"
    Oh and "once I'm done dieting I need to go eat a big 16oz steak"

Never mind the fact that I eat whatever I want (including steak), just in smaller portions... But I must be killing myself if I'm losing weight!

I would be asking if he'd like to repeat those comments to HR.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Someone once told me "i feel bad for you dude, u lose weight so slowly" after I had told everyone in the car that I had lost 25 lbs in two and a half months. The entire car went silent because everyone was kinda shocked at the comment and it made me feel terrible and almost made me cry! >.< I knew I had lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, that's not what bothered me, what bothered me was that was the only thing that person said and had nothing nice to say about my weightloss..
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    "You're missing out on life because you workout too much. You're going to regret not being more social when you're older."
    "You weigh everything you eat?! That's too much work, I would rather be fat."
    "You can't eat pizza, you're dieting!"
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I either must be really lucky or I'm just selective in what I hear!

The only slightly negative comment has been "go on, one won't hurt you" when I declined a biscuit/cookie. But I said no and that was it. All my friends and family have said nothing but good things. In fact just this evening one of my horse riding buddies made me try on her long boots after I said I really wanted a pair once my calves were thin enough. I was sure they wouldn't be anywhere near to fitting but they were pretty close. I had 5 people around me, all telling me how hard I've worked and how great I look! I'm really blessed with my friends!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I hear mostly positive things, and get lots of "what's your secret" type questions. The only comment I've gotten that was somewhat negative was when a neighbor asked if I had given up eating entirely, but he was joking and I took it in the spirit it was intended. When people see how much fat I eat they tend to look confused, lol, (you butter your steak??! you want a triple cheeseburger, but won't eat the bun??!) but that just makes me laugh at this point. No no longer feel the need to explain what I'm doing.

ETA- same neighbor I mentioned above warned me about how much harde it would be to lose weight once I got into my 30's. I told him I had been 30 for about 4 years, lol (this was a couple years ago). That one was priceless.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I only get negative comments from one man at work - most are positive. This one man though, says I was "perfect before" (I guess 200lb at 5'3" is perfect for him) and now I'm "too boney", I look "tired and sick" and I need to "stop killing myself to lose weight"

Never mind the fact that I eat whatever I want (including steak), just in smaller portions... But I must be killing myself if I'm losing weight!

Sounds like you need to make an HR report!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    "Wow if I worked out like you Id be cut"
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Sounds like you need to make an HR report!

Haha if only you all knew how little that would do. We just recently (in the last 6 months) actually hired an HR person, and she says some of the most inappropriate s*** I've ever heard in the work place. The last place I worked down here in Louisiana was the same way. The HR guy would openly hit on the women that worked there. I think there must be something about the south, because none of this would fly where I'm from.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I really haven't gotten many negative comments, 87 lbs later! Probably in part because I never turn down food at gatherings so people don't get concerned that I'm not eating lol. Mostly I just get annoyed that people show genuine interest in my weight loss but when I tell them how I did it (basic calorie counting and exercise) they instantly don't care to hear more. Not exciting enough I guess.
  • IpakDaley
    IpakDaley Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That I need to eat about 5 donuts on donut Friday, when I wouldn't take any. Also said though, was "I wish I had your willpower."
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My aunt told me "you are lucky you can lose weight so easily" - got me real annoyed.
    Some regular at the gym said "don't lift too heavy, it would be a shame to lose your feminine curves" - creeper!
    Old classmate "no one wants to date a girl that lifts more than him" - spoiler alert, glad they opt out themselves!
    My mom "are you sure you don't want some?" On every single sweet thing....

I have had a lot of positive comments too, but damn the negative ones were annoying