Natural foods to manage chronic constipation?

Options
VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
I'm on prescription medication which I think has something to do with my reocurring constipation despite drinking nearly a gallon of water a day, frequent exercising, eating lots of green vegetables and fruits such as apples, and cutting out 99% of processed foods. What am I doing wrong? Are there other specific foods than can put a permanent end to constipation?
PS- I know some of you may suggest foods high in fiber but I was already told that more fiber will just make it worse. So I need another diet plan for my chronic constipation. Going off of my medication is out of the question too.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a magnesium supplement? I use Natural Calm.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oh yeah, magnesium will do it.
    I took cheap magnesium oxide from walmart $2.44 a bottle. 250 mg.
    I have learned not to take it if I get enough magnesium from foods I eat.
    Foods: Leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fish, beans, whole grains, avocados, yogurt,
    If you choose the pill, take it at night with a food. It can make you very sleepy.
    *Too much caffeine makes me constipated.
    I think it's the oxide that has this laxative effect.
    If you have epsom salts, take a bath in it tonight.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had to resort to a daily maintenance dose of Miralax when I was on narcotics for a long period of time, although I had not known about magnesium at that point. My doctor had given me the OK to use it up to 3x/day, every day, as needed. It was an expensive and uncomfortable solution, as it caused me to have a lot of really rumbly and painful gas, but it worked.

I now am mostly off the narcotics and keep my bowels moving well with plenty of fat intake, and magnesium as mentioned (magnesium oxide is the most "explosive" of the forms you can get - poorly absorbed by the body which means it's FAB at clearing you out but can get quite gassy and uncomfortable; mag. citrate and other formulations ending in -ate are much less so). I use 1 tsp of Natural Calm in water (up to 2 tsp) 1-2x per day depending on how bad things get. Usually once a day is all I need to stay pretty regular unless I've had to take more than 2 doses of narcotic that day. (I also take Magnesium Glycinate daily as part of a regimen for helping with anxiety, so I'm quite well topped up on magnesium!)
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    There are two types of fibre, soluble and insoluble. Soluble tends to stick in your bowels so if you suffer with constipation then you want to eat more insoluble fibre

Dried or canned beans
    Peas
    Oats
    Barley
    Brown rice
    The flesh of fruits such as apples and oranges
    Dried fruits
    Vegetables such as carrots

For comparison, insoluble fiber is found in the skins of fruits and root vegetables, in whole-wheat products, wheat and corn bran, and in vegetables such as cauliflower and green beans
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I didn't read if it was mentioned as I'm going to bed....but have you tried black coffee? Definatly works for me. At first it made my stomach cramp up and an hour later boom i was clear. Doesn't hurt ever anymore....but still works.
  • qiaralim
    qiaralim Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    have u tried psyllium husk? and detox tea?
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have found that yoga really helps. Especially poses that require "twisting." Sometimes I barely make it home in time - to put it delicately - after a class filled with twists - LOL.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    More oil/fats.
    Also magnesium -- works as a stool softener.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    argh typed the message about soluble and insoluble on my phone and when i was tired and it's all a bit muddled!

If you have constipation, gradually increasing sources of soluble fibre – such as fruit and vegetables, oats and golden linseeds – can help soften your stools and make them easier to pass.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have gastroparesis (stomach motility disorder) and constipation goes along with it. My secret weapon--WARM Prune Juice. I have about 5 oz every morning. I thought it would be gross but I've grown to LOVE it. You can also drink Warm water. I thought that would be gross, too, but it's actually quite comforting somehow. I also have Miralax daily and the magnesium helps as well. Another marvelous thing is a Heating Pad. The heat on your abdomen can get your bowels moving. You can also massage your abdomen if this doesn't hurt. And limiting your sitting as much as possible. Upright Movement makes a real difference. Keeping your stress under control, getting good sleep. It all goes together.
  • aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Ballerina Tea....plain or with a little honey.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Agree with magnesium supplements. I had a condition for a while where it was important to keep everything very soft. Magnesium did the job nicely and I still use it sometimes to ease things along a bit if needed. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Another vote for fats. Try buttered popcorn.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I want to mention one more thing. Fiber slows down digestion for everyone, so you are correct--eating more fiber can make it worse. I have to limit my fiber because my digestion is so sluggish already. Lots of people think that piling on more fiber will help constipation because they think that fiber speeds up digestion. It doesn't. Something like popcorn is great if your system can handle it, but it won't speed things up. I really, REALLY wish I could have some buttery popcorn! Popcorn is mostly fiber, so, alas.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm in your exact same position OP. I second magnesium, oxide seems to be the best to treat constipation.
    Also, 20g of psyllium husk powder will 100% ensure regular, every morning movement for me :+1: