How to lose weight & not get buff?

Options
Like okay in all my workouts, there's always weights. I want to do the complete work out but I DON'T want to get buff arms or legs... how do I just lose the weight.

Replies

• Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Do the workouts with the weights.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    People seem to assume that "getting buff" is a lot easier than it really is. For women especially, "getting buff" takes years of careful and difficult work and a very strict meal plan!

Women simply do not have enough testosterone to easily pile on muscle, nor do they have a low enough body fat to clearly show that muscle definition.

It takes even the fitness pros YEARS to add pounds of muscle to their bodies, so the odds of your doing it in a matter of months are just about 0.
  • MB1967
    MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,

working with weights can aid your weight loss, just don`t go overboard with them.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Use a weight you can lift 20-25 times. It will exhaust the muscle, burn calories, and not add size to the muscle. Avoid using weights that you can't lift more than 15 times.
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm going to throw my own opinion in hear, which is that some lean muscle definition looks good, even on a girl, and just being tiny and skinny really doesn't.

With that having been said, there are lots of body weight exercises you can do that don't involve lifting huge amounts of weight. There is a woman whose regimens I use sometimes at home, her website is www.bodyrock.tv. She'll work you into a small, lean body, but it's tough work!

Hope this helps. :-)

P.S. Props to lt_mrcook, that's good advice he gave about the weight limits too.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I worked out with light weights for over a year and I certainly wasn't getting buff. But once I realized that I was probably losing muscle from all the cardio (even with the light weights), I added real lifting to my program. Now I can see nice definition starting. When more fat is gone I expect to look defined, lean and strong. I don't know what your definition of buff is (do you mean like a body builder or do you mean simply defined and strong), but it's taking me heavy concentrated lifting to get the definition and muscle gain I want (not "buff" - just defined and strong). If your workouts call for light weight (3-8 pounds), I would not be concerned about getting buff. You might get some minor definition - but I doubt you want to look skinny fat anyway - so I'd keep on going! You want to keep all the muscle you can.
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    Light weights more reps... has always been my practice. You'll get some definition but by no means look like a body builder type. My old work out routine I was lifting some serious weight but because I slowly increased my weight amounts I never bulked up. I was bench pressing about 250 prior to a car accident and didn't look bulked up at all. I had nice lean muscle with small amounts of definition wish I had a pic to show you. It took me months to build up to that weight though... and I was building up my strength because I was a volunteer rescue diver at the time.
  • BuddhaBabeee
    BuddhaBabeee Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks to everyone