Fast Metabolism Diet

Options
Is anyone out there doing the Fast Metabolism Diet? I'd love an MFP friend to help keep me on track. I'm on week three, but plan to repeat another 4 weeks once I'm done with the first 28 days.

-Allison

Replies

• xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Hi Allison! I'm on week 1 of the FMD (phase 3, day 6). So far it's been great. I feel really good about the quality of food I'm putting into my body, I'm never hungry, and the food combinations are filling yet the meals and snacks are all less than 400 calories each, so I'm staying within my caloric goals too. I've been an on and off MFP user for years, and counting calories has never been easier than with this diet! I've been very strict, no cheating and admittedly the coffee withdrawal is very hard for me, but I have lost 6# already, so I am encouraged to keep going. Are you still doing it? How has it been for you?
  • tmaristela
    tmaristela Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing week 1 and about to start week 2 of FMD. I found myself struggling with phase 2. I was getting tired of eating only protein & veg all day.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Fast Metabolism Diet is a new concept to me. Anyone have any links that you found helpful?
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Fast Metabolism Diet is a new concept to me. Anyone have any links that you found helpful?

According to my google fu it is about what you'd expect from the title.

Folks, if it helps you get into a caloric deficit you will lose weight. It won't speed up your metabolism. But if you like it and you're finding it easy to stick to, kudos to you.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Here are comments from the author's website:

Each Phase focuses on different whole, healthy foods to calm your adrenal glands, reduce stress on your liver, and feed your thyroid so it can produce the hormones T3 and T4, the superstars of a fast metabolism. You’ll reduce stress, too—and as a result, put the damper on the belly-fat hormone, cortisol.
    By keeping your metabolism guessing, you’ll get it working faster

True science or balderdash?

Balderdash
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

Each Phase focuses on different whole, healthy foods to calm your adrenal glands, reduce stress on your liver, and feed your thyroid so it can produce the hormones T3 and T4, the superstars of a fast metabolism. You’ll reduce stress, too—and as a result, put the damper on the belly-fat hormone, cortisol.

Oh wow, I hadn't even got that far into my google fu as it's pretty obvious woo from the title. Yeah, choice B.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks Noel-57 I will look at that. I find almost 100% of the time good nuggets after digging deeper and more valid than personal opinions.

chewfo.com/diets/the-fast-metabolism-diet-by-haylie-pomroy-2013-what-to-eat-and-foods-to-avoid-food-list/

So I peeked and this is awesome. Noel one thing I try to read is the input or restatement by others. It is actually the way I eat that enables me to successfully eat at 2500+ calories daily.

FMD has been validated by the research coming out about the Biggest Loser TV show proving why deficit dieting ending in failure most of the time. 40 years of yo yo diets just about killed me before my found my LCHF macro that is reversing my health markers in a real and measurable way.

@allijoy13 thanks for starting this thread about the Fast Metabolism Diet that is supported by real science.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    So I finished the 28 days and followed the plan strictly. I'm down 12 pounds, which is pretty good weight loss IMO. I've lost 2.5 inches from my waist and 1.5 from my hips and bust. People have noticed my weight loss too, which is always a nice bonus. Not once during those 28 days did I have any kind of stomach issue, not even flatulence LOL. I started the program with bronchitis and I swear that eating clean helped me get better faster than I usually do. I was suffering from bilateral plantar fasciitis and shin splints, all of which are 90% better, and the only thing I'm doing differently is eating clean. I haven't been getting DOMS from my workouts. My skin and hair looks better....call it balderdash if you like but it worked for me.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I purchased and just finished reading The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy.

It was not a waste of $10 by any means. She does not have references but the science seems to be supported based on what I have read/experienced

It really is for someone who has dieted in a way that greatly slowed down their metabolism in the past. It has some exercise to do. Day 1-2 is high carb, day 3-4 is high protein and day 5-7 are low carb high fat days. You repeat this four times as often as you wish. She has other plans for maintaining.

If you are interested just go to Amazon Reviews and many seemed to have retyped the book so you can get an idea of what the book is about. She seems to be quite famous in some circles. She was a pre vet aggie before getting into human nutrition.

@xonephone the FMD seemed to have worked out very well for you. It is great when we learn how to heal our body's metabolism with food after wrecking it with food. Her plan is simple and well laid out. While I have been LCHF for going on two years I have been adding in more carbs of late and now that I have read FMD I will add more of the kinds she promotes. Her Don'ts have matched my Way Of Eating for nearly the past two years. My health now at 65 is better than it was at 45. I only gave up dairy last week and it has been a plus already with morning congestion being gone.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Balderdash. Anytime one goes into a calorie deficit, metabolic rate is AUTOMATICALLY LOWERED. And cortisol isn't all bad. You secrete it when exercising.
    All diets speak of a lot gobbly gook to try to sound logical about weight/fat loss so that they can sell more programs.
    One just needs to be in calorie deficit for weight loss. Exercise to help create it and improve fitness and health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Have you read the book?
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I purchased and just finished reading The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy.

It was not a waste of $10 by any means. She does not have references but the science seems to be supported based on what I have read/experienced

It really is for someone who has dieted in a way that greatly slowed down their metabolism in the past. It has some exercise to do. Day 1-2 is high carb, day 3-4 is high protein and day 5-7 are low carb high fat days. You repeat this four times as often as you wish. She has other plans for maintaining.

If you are interested just go to Amazon Reviews and many seemed to have retyped the book so you can get an idea of what the book is about. She seems to be quite famous in some circles. She was a pre vet aggie before getting into human nutrition.

@xonephone the FMD seemed to have worked out very well for you. It is great when we learn how to heal our body's metabolism with food after wrecking it with food. Her plan is simple and well laid out. While I have been LCHF for going on two years I have been adding in more carbs of late and now that I have read FMD I will add more of the kinds she promotes. Her Don'ts have matched my Way Of Eating for nearly the past two years. My health now at 65 is better than it was at 45. I only gave up dairy last week and it has been a plus already with morning congestion being gone.

I think that the Fast in the title is what you actually end up doing.

From the reviews:

Phase 1 (you are on it for 2 days out of the week)
    Breakfast 127 calories
    Snack 40 calories
    Lunch 158 calories
    Snack 53 calories
    Dinner 390 calories total 768 calories for the day

Phase 2 (you are on it for 2 days out of the week)
    Breakfast 74 calories
    Snack 88 calories
    Lunch 218 calories
    Snack 118 calories
    Dinner 174 calories total 672 calories for the day

Phase 3 (you are on it for 3 days out of the week)
    Breakfast 254 calories
    Snack 60 calories
    Lunch 197 calories
    Snack 258 calories
    Dinner 438 calories total 1,207 calories for the day

That's going to do something to your metabolism. Speed it up isn't it.

Not sure how this math was calculated. I have lost 20 pounds on this plan. My days all average 400 to 600 calories more than this when I checked them. I am focusing on the nutritional aspects of what I eat and it works for me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    bisland wrote: »

From the reviews:

Breakfast 127 calories
    Snack 40 calories
    Lunch 158 calories
    Snack 53 calories

Breakfast 74 calories
    Snack 88 calories
    Lunch 218 calories
    Snack 118 calories

Breakfast 254 calories
    Snack 60 calories
    Lunch 197 calories
    Snack 258 calories

Not sure how this math was calculated. I have lost 20 pounds on this plan. My days all average 400 to 600 calories more than this when I checked them. I am focusing on the nutritional aspects of what I eat and it works for me.

Of course you will lose weight if you eat less, but it isn't speeding up your metabolism. This is a low cal plan, that's all. The calc are done by a third party on a review of the program.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    bisland wrote: »

From the reviews:

Breakfast 127 calories
    Snack 40 calories
    Lunch 158 calories
    Snack 53 calories

Breakfast 74 calories
    Snack 88 calories
    Lunch 218 calories
    Snack 118 calories

Breakfast 254 calories
    Snack 60 calories
    Lunch 197 calories
    Snack 258 calories

@bisland the above math is not based on the book and clearly there is no validity in the above numbers. The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy is not about low calories but eating more calories than typical diets.

While I have been eating LCHF for nearly two years staying in a state of nutritional ketosis for pain management I am down 50 pounds and have maintained at 200 pounds for the past year eating about 2500 calories daily plus walking 1/4 mile each day.

While I am not on the FMD in the 2 day high carb, 2 days high protein and 3 days LCHF per the book I have greatly bumped my carbs from whole foods like potatoes, white beans, black eyed peas, greens, etc for the last 3 days of last week with Saturday being a pig out day at a catfish restaurant. Still both Sunday morning and this morning I had lost more weight which were lower than I have weight since 1992. I did stop dairy and coffee about 10 days ago so my calories from fats dropped but these whole carbs promoted by FMD did not give me a water weight gain I normally see when eating sugar and grains which I have not eaten since back in 2014. My joint and muscle pain so far has not returned eating the above whole carbs but time will tell. I do not plan to start eating sugar and grains in the near future. Well I am still eating (letting in melt under my tongue) 30-60 grams daily of the 5 carbon sugar D-Ribose.

Eating LCHF had already sped up my metabolism greatly but based on my medical educational background and studying different ways of eating for the past two years I am impressed by the quality of the FMD book and early results from applying her clinical application of this way of eating.

Today at the age of 65 if someone asked me to recommend one book on the subject of how to lower the risks of a premature death I would say read The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy and try it if it sounds of interest for weight loss.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I'll start by saying, if people stick to it and it is the catalyst that brings about compliance to caloric moderation and health, I am all for it. Props to anyone who is being the best they can be from it. However, where all this "proven by science" stuff keeps getting thrown around....

It's basically a Whole 30, Paleo, Natural or whatever re-marketed diet, but breaks it up into crazy stages. From what I can see, there is no comparative analysis or study using a control group eating the same caloric intake/exercise and comparing loss.

As for based on science, there are plenty of ways to pick and choose metabolic functions and piece them together as a systemic fact, without it being remotely tested or true. I was just reading a real study, review by real scientists, doing real research, and even here you can see that variables in the collective studies always leave wiggle room for conjunctive diets such as this to evolve and be marketed as "Science Fact", but only because it has not be disproved systemically.

Nutrient timing revisited: is there a post-exercise anabolic window?

Alan Albert Aragon and Brad Jon SchoenfeldEmail author
    Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition201310:5
    DOI: 10.1186/1550-2783-10-5
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5

My favorite part of this study was the ending where it is recommend that pre/post supplement timing(or both) can be done within known PCOS timing because (basically) it won't hurt anything, even though it hasn't been actually conclusively proven to help.
    Distilling the data into firm, specific recommendations is difficult due to the inconsistency of findings and scarcity of systematic investigations seeking to optimize pre- and/or post-exercise protein dosage and timing. Practical nutrient timing applications for the goal of muscle hypertrophy inevitably must be tempered with field observations and experience in order to bridge gaps in the scientific literature.

So again, I am all for whatever people want to do or pay for that gets them healthy, but all this science marketing is not conclusive science fact, unless you could please post the research and comparative analysis. I could use some new reading materials.

Thanks.
  • fitness1398
    fitness1398 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tried the plan and lost 9 lbs. I've been thinking of redoing it asap. I need to figure out how to add friends on here.

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start this strictly next week once I figure out a meal plan that works for me and do my groceries. I know it's calories in and out and I know it's not going to speed up my metabolism but at this point I need some structure to my eating. I'm home all day with my baby and it's just toooo easy to grab anything I want from the fridge whenever I want. It hasn't made weight loss/control easy so I'm looking forward to this. My friend has been doing it and has had great results.