Mommas Best Cookin' (:

Options
2»

Replies

• surprisethekids
    surprisethekids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My mom is not a great cook (though she's an excellent baker), but she makes the best macaroni and cheese I have ever tasted. She gave me the recipe, and I have watched her make it countless times, but I can't get it right. Luckily, she is thrilled when I invite myself over for dinner and request this dish.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Her slow cooker roast with carrots and celery, and mashed potatoes, dip in some A1

My mom's devilled eggs were always the best. I make them just like she used to

Also her tuna salad and egg salad days were the best. I have a day where I just make that and stick it in the fridge like she did

I also miss being little :(
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    My mom never cooked, sadly. It was always takeouts or dining in. My parents still eat out or order in for every meal to this day.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Mommas homemade chili, and top it with oyster crackers.

Her country pork ribs. I swear. She'd broil it, and it tasted like sirloin!

My mom makes the BEST Brunswick stew.

Oh and her chicken pot pie!

And let's not forget her biscuits. Not as good as granny, but still dang good.

BRB calling mom and putting in a takeout order! ;)
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My mom was NOT a good cook, let alone dealing with comfort food. However there are TWO items that sort of stand out in my mind.

- Vegetable Beef Soup with homemade dumplings - whenever I go home to visit we make this together still using the same wooden spoon my great-grandmother used to make the same soup. I can't seem to replicate this soup. :/
    - Whenever she would make a pie, she would make extra crust but spread it over a baking pan sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. I used to eat the whole pan.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    One of my mom's students (she's the Dean at a residential school) taught her how to make a Korean chicken dish that was my absolute favorite. I continued making it in college and occasionally make it for my family now.

I also loved mom's chicken nuggets and pot pie. Yum!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Very little. My mom cooks ala-Stouffers, though she makes a killer sloughed onion (macaroni noodles, canned tomatoes, bacon, minced onion/garlic), chili, bacon roll-ups (a strip of bread with cream cheese wrapped around some bacon), and ham roll-ups (a slice of ham wrapped around a pickle and cream cheese).

I have to admit though that I have a strong hatred for any sort of meat cooked in a Crockpot thanks to her. Chicken often becomes too liquidy and falls apart like fish (thank god she doesn't cook fish -fish in a crockpot would probably turn into fish soup) and pork has a strange texture. My mom does a ton of crockpot meats, though it takes just as much time putting stuff in the crockpot as it does to dump the meat/sauce in a pan/skillet and bake/sear it (I have taken responsibility for cooking most meats).
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    any kind of gravy but mostly milk gravy
    stewed potatoes and pinto beans
    stew beef
    salisbury steaks in the slow cooker
    green beans
    salmon cakes
    potato cakes
    fried tenderloin for breakfast w/eggs

My mom passed away a couple of years ago and stopped cooking about twenty years before that. :( I've missed her cooking for a very long time. I try to keep up the tradition in my own home.