Working Out Late At Night

Options
ehte_h
ehte_h Posts: 295 Member
Is it bad for you? I am very much a morning person, and I absolutely love working out in the early morning, however in August I will start fasting from sunrise to sunset. Meaning I won't be able to eat or drink from around 4am - 8pm. I was speaking to a friend about this, who kindly has given me access to his home gym over the month. (The one I go to shuts at 9pm). However this will mean totally switching up my routine and working out at 9-10pm.

I don't wanna undo the hard work and at the very least would like to maintain. I was debating if I should do light weights after work or weight until the evening when I can at least drink water

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There's no problem with exercising late, but if it's too hard or too soon before bed time you may have trouble dropping off. My friends who fast for Ramadan split their evening meal into two, have half before they work out and half after. But they do take it easier during the month.

Good luck!
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Everyone has their own rhythm. Some people like early morning, some late at night. There's nothing bad about either :)
  • etaven
    etaven Posts: 25
    Options
    I tend to put in some workouts later at night as well-- I'm a night owl by nature :)
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've only heard its harder to go to sleep afterwards, but you are still getting exercise... so if that's when you can do it, i say its much better to get it done any time you can!

As for Ramadan, I would say if you can't eat during the day, exercise in the morning would not be a good idea. If you did, then when you are at work, your body is going to hit a low for blood sugar and need some steam to keep going. Wait until you have some energy from food in the evening to fuel your work out.

You are doing a great job!! :)
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :)