Fitbit

Options
Should I invest in a fitbit device and it be worth it? If so, which one is the best to purchase?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    In order to know if it would be worth it for you, we'd have to know more about you. Are you inspired by data or by doing challenges with friends that have Fitbits? Lots of people love their Fitbits, lots of people use them for a couple of weeks and then never put them on again. The "best one" to purchase depends on what you want to use it for. Do you want to just track your steps? Do you want more detailed information about your sleep and heart rate?
  • FeliciaLogsdon
    FeliciaLogsdon Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I want to know how many calories I'm burning and how many steps I take a day. And having my sleep monitored could be beneficial to me as well. I don't think I'll do many challenges with other people or anything, just use it to help track my progress. I need something that will do that accurately.
  • elizabethpittman80
    elizabethpittman80 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've been going back and forth about getting one too. I want to use it solely for more accurate tracking as well. I went on Amazon and bought a cheap $14 watch that had decent reviews. I figured I will see if i actually keep using the thing before spending more on the Fitbit.
  • FeliciaLogsdon
    FeliciaLogsdon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I thought about that too! Getting a cheap one to try first
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Should I invest in a fitbit device and it be worth it? If so, which one is the best to purchase?

It is the one thing keeping me motivated right now after I fell off for a LONG time. I got one for Mother's Day and I hate to take it off, even to charge. It tracked another huge issue for me which was my sleep. It tells me how many times I am restless, how much time I am awake through the night and how many times I actually wake. The reports were enough for my Doctor to be concerned and get an immediate referral for a sleep study for sleep apnea. It tracks so much and every time I want to sluff off, I just look at it and remember I want to reach those goals and it works. It's so motivating to see your weekly reports.
  • jeeplovin
    jeeplovin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit Alta. I had the Flex, Ultra before I got the Alta. They all work great, synced with My Fitness Pal. I use mine to see how many calories a day I burn. Very helpful for eating the right amount of calories a day. It counts steps, has a watch, and keeps track of your sleep. It can do more, but that is what I use it for. I like the Alta, because if it sleeker looking. FYI to get my Alta to sync with My Fitness Pal, I had to turn off WiFi, to get it to set up.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have the One, Charge Hr and just got the Blaze. I like the Charge HR and Blaze because they track your heart and factor that into the calorie burn estimate.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and it is a massive motivator for me. I love the hard data of seeing the calories burned in a day, as I know it will be lower if I don't go to the gym. I don't want to see a lower calorie burn, so I get my stuff on and get to the gym!

I'm looking to upgrade to the Blaze so I can choose the different activities as my Charge HR can't do that. It doesn't detect spinning but I know you can select it on the Blaze.

Since I only got mine in February I can't justify the cost at the moment. I'm secretly hoping my fiancé will get me one as a wedding gift ;)
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip and I love it. I had been using a cheap pedometer previously and the Fit Bit has been awesome. I've been using mine for a little over a month now and it's been helpful with my weight loss.
  • nessamelda
    nessamelda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and have been wearing it for over a year and a half now. I'm not obsessive about the number of steps or exercise (my knees are too shot to be too obsessive!) but it allows me to look at a week and say "wow you have been sitting around on your backside too much this week, get up and be more active!".

The new app update keeps track of how many hours in the day I've done 250 steps, and monitoring that keeps me from spending too long sitting down without moving. It also allows me to keep an eye on when I've done too many days with lots of steps in a row (I have rheumatoid arthritis and if I put too much stress on my joints I tend to get a flare up which will keep me totally inactive for a week or so)

So for me it works really well. If you have eczema or skin irritations you may need to be careful-my daughter can't wear a flex as she gets a severe skin reaction if she wears it more than a few hours at a time.
  • anarcisse1913
    anarcisse1913 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have your phone on you often, there is a step tracker built into MFP
  • Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have had the Blaze now for about a month. I still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles, but like how it has motivated me to reach goals.

I used to use the pacer app to track steps, but that would add when I was riding a tractor. Today has be a cold and dreary day, so was stuck inside, instead of doing things in the yard. When I looked down at my fitbit, it showed I only got 1500 steps in at 7pm. That motivated me to head out for a jog to make sure I hit 10000 steps for the day. Lol

I purchased mine off of QVC, as they had it on 5 payments. Figured that would give me time to try it and send it back if need be, without having 200 tied up in it.