Sugar free foods

Options
Does anyone know where I can buy sugar free food from everywhere I look is fat free but sugar higher than I want

Replies

• ho11y4271
    ho11y4271 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What types of food are you wanting? Do you mean packaged foods without sugar?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why do you want sugar free food? That may help in guiding you to a good place to buy the food you are looking for.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All the meats and oils.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    No fruit or veggies??
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    First it's best to answer why you are looking for sugar free foods so you can get a better answer :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Sugar free or without added sugar?

Meat (including fish) is going to be sugar free. Plain dairy, fruits, and veg will have sugar, but no added sugar. Same with potatoes and sweet potatoes and corn. Oil and mustard will typically be sugar free (unless it's something like honey mustard).

Eggs are essentially sugar free, oats and pasta and rice and quinoa and barley, etc., will not have added sugar. Store-bought bread might have a bit of added sugar but you can find brands that do not.

Very little that I buy has added sugar (unless it's a sweet, like ice cream or chocolate). A great deal of what I buy has intrinsic sugar in some amount.
  • de7inhim
    de7inhim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Most stores have a diabetic section. I get sugar free jello and Carbmaster yogurt at Kroger.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you avoid processed foods you will be avoiding added sugars. Ingredients ending in "ose" are sugars, and so are those ending in "extrin", along with syrups, honey, and agave. Are you avoiding sugar alcohols too? Those ingredients ending in "ol".

Avoiding sugar in general usually requires a low carb diet based around, meat, eggs, nuts, olives, full fat dairy (cheese, cream), avocados, coconut and green and leafy veggies with a few more low GI veggies and fruits thrown in. I eat very low carb and high fat and often have sugar intake of about 5g per day.