Anyone had a Laproscopy, advice please?

Options
OK so I am steadily losing weight by exercising and counting calories and I have a Laproscopy booked in for the 26th July. Obviously I will speak to the surgeon at the time but from having a look online I've come across very different time lengths for being able to exercise after the surgery with some people saying 2 weeks and some saying 6. I know every individual will be different but I am just wondering if you've had this procedure done how long was it until you were exercising again (low intensity and then strenuously?) At the moment I am exercising moderately strenuously most days and I do not want the surgery to impact on my weight loss greatly especially as I am going on holiday at the end of summer!

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I was out walking the other day and a lady stopped me to tell me she had a lap band. She said walking is the best way.

I know another woman she had the same thing done. I was in shock because she was very overweight. She didn't give them a good grade either.

You should reconsider.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I had a laproscopy when I was in high school. My docs barred me from competing in sports for two weeks. But they literally just poked around with a camera and sewed me up, so without discussing the specifics of your surgery, I would say a while after your stitches heal. But you should ask your doc to be certain.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I was out walking the other day and a lady stopped me to tell me she had a lap band. She said walking is the best way.

I know another woman she had the same thing done. I was in shock because she was very overweight. She didn't give them a good grade either.

You should reconsider.

Laproscopy is just minimally-invasive surgery. It is not the same as lap-band.
  • lauraaaaxo
    lauraaaaxo Posts: 55 Member
    Options

You should reconsider.

Sorry whats a lap band? I'm not sure if you understand what a Laproscopy is, its a gynecological procedure, essentially keyhole surgery where the surgeon will be making a small incision in my stomach and pumping gas in to check for endometriosis and other problems. I am by no means over weight 5ft 2 and 126 pound, just wanting to lose weight to feel better about myself.
  • Aliciabill1201
    Options
    It's going to dependon the type of laproscopy you are having. I had one to remove my appendix when I was 15. I wasn't allowed to exercise for the first 2 weeks (I was really tired so didn't feel like it anyway) and she allowed me to go to prom (prom was 5 days after my surgery). So I think it's going to depend on exactly what type of laproscopy, how well you heal & the advice from your surgeon. But most tell you not to exercise or do anything strenuous for at least 2 weeks after surgery.

Best of Luck!
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    I have had a couple of laparoscopies. Recovery time will depend on exactly what they do during the procedure - if they just have a look it probably won't be long but if they do surgical stuff within your abdomen it could be a few weeks or more.
  • lauraaaaxo
    Options
    I had a laproscopy when I was in high school. My docs barred me from competing in sports for two weeks. But they literally just poked around with a camera and sewed me up, so without discussing the specifics of your surgery, I would say a while after your stitches heal. But you should ask your doc to be certain.

2 weeks wont be too bad, i can just walk a lot and see how thing go and build up the exercise thanks.

It's going to dependon the type of laproscopy you are having. I had one to remove my appendix when I was 15. I wasn't allowed to exercise for the first 2 weeks (I was really tired so didn't feel like it anyway) and she allowed me to go to prom (prom was 5 days after my surgery). So I think it's going to depend on exactly what type of laproscopy, how well you heal & the advice from your surgeon. But most tell you not to exercise or do anything strenuous for at least 2 weeks after surgery.

Best of Luck!

It is to check for endometriosis so not as big an having your appendix removed, guessing 2 weeks is about the average then which is okay, I just home I don't become un motivated over those 2 weeks and when i can exercise again just end up sitting on the couch haha.
  • tracey_john
    Options
    I've had this procedure and was very tired the first week. You probably won't feel like exercising, but by the end of the second week I felt back to normal so started to exercise again. As with any strenuous activity after an operation start off gently but I don't think you'll have any problems exercising by the end of the first 2 weeks. All the best!
  • geckoseven
    geckoseven Posts: 32
    Options
    There are a number of advantages to the patient with laparoscopic surgery versus an open procedure. These include reduced pain due to smaller incisions and hemorrhaging, and shorter recovery time.

Conceptually, the laparoscopic approach is intended to minimise post-operative pain and speed up recovery times, while maintaining an enhanced visual field for surgeons. Due to improved patient outcomes, in the last two decades, laparoscopic surgery has been adopted by various surgical sub-specialties including gastrointestinal surgery , gynecologic surgery and urology. Based on numerous prospective randomized controlled trials, the approach has proven to be beneficial in reducing post-operative morbidities such as wound infections and incisional hernias.
    :D

Can't really give you a recovery time, 2-4 weeks I'd say, which is small compared to many, and you probably can still do some brisk walking just nothing intense in the anaerobic, & aerobic end.
  • Skinny625
    Skinny625 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've had this procedure and was very tired the first week. You probably won't feel like exercising, but by the end of the second week I felt back to normal so started to exercise again. As with any strenuous activity after an operation start off gently but I don't think you'll have any problems exercising by the end of the first 2 weeks. All the best!
    I also had the same procedure and I agree. I thinks it makes a difference on how healthy you are. If you are active person it won't be bad.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I had a laproscopic surgery for an ovary removal due to a cyst inside it, and was surprised as how sore I was and for how long. Not to be discouraging, but it seemed to me like the dr made it sound like it wasn't a big deal and it was (and I'd had three c sections so I'm not a big wimp or anything :wink: ) Also have a friend who just had an exploratory laproscopy for endrometriosis (sp?) and she ended up having to take a week off work b/c she was so very sore. Plan to wear soft stretchy pants for at least a couple weeks b/c the swelling makes your pants feel so tight and don't plan to work out much for a couple weeks, other than maybe some walking. I had three incisions so I don't know how many you will have for your procedure. Sounds like you're about my size so it's not like a couple weeks off is going to totally throw off your weight loss or anything. Take it easy afterwards and hope all goes well!
  • gladysrutter
    gladysrutter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Heya

I had laproscopy for the removal of my gall bladder, the procedure is relatively painless, so don't worry about it. 3 hours after I woke up after surgery I was able to have a walk around the ward - the next day I was able to have a brisk walk and was sent home.

The next few weeks its essential that your scars heal properly, so you shouldn't walk too much or exercise too hard and most importantly not to eat too much, because if you do it feels like the stitches are expanding and will lengthen your healing process :( - however two days after surgery I was back at work. I was able to lift boxes of paper for the copier and had no trouble - I easily could start exercising after 2 weeks

But I must stress, lots of people heal differently and you should deffinately wait until after the surgery, urge yourself for a walk or a brisk walk on the same day or next day, but if you feel at all distressed or that you are pushing yourself too much, then you must back off. Just listen to your body and you should be fine chick xoxox

Good luck with your surgery and rest well x
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My dau-in-law just had the lapband done in Jan 2011 and thus far has only lost like 30 lbs. Now I had the Ruin y done in 2000 and within 3 mos I had already lost like 70 lbs. She was off duty or 6 wks but if you'd ask me I'd say go with the Gastrc Bypass.Longer recovery but faster wt loss.I lost 150 lbs in 6 mos. God bless you whatever way you decide.
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had the exact same thing done in the past. If they just look and don't touch you will feel fine after not very long at all.

But usually while they are there they try and clean things up a bit, in which case you will be a little more uncomfortable.

Just to explain that I do understand, my appendix burst as a teenager and all the muck literally exploded throughout my whole abdominal/uterine area causing adhesions throughout my tubes, ovaries and uterus, 2 or 3 times a year I would have laparoscopies done to clean up the adhesions, the downside from this is that it would cause more scarring so was a bit of a vicious circle, hence having them done so often.

They do so many operations by laproscope these day just because they are so non evasive. I've also had 3 surguries on my knees by laproscope and the pain level afterwards was always dependant on how much they did while in there.

I wouldn't worry too much about how long you will be off exercise, just eat well and exercise will come when you are ready. If you have no expectations you won't worry if it takes a little longer to be well.

Let me know if I can help any more. Good luck.

Also, you can speak to 10 different people and get 10 different answers. Everybody's experiences will all be different to eachother and your own, so please don't get down or overwhelmed. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • samntim
    samntim Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My dau-in-law just had the lapband done in Jan 2011 and thus far has only lost like 30 lbs. Now I had the Ruin y done in 2000 and within 3 mos I had already lost like 70 lbs. She was off duty or 6 wks but if you'd ask me I'd say go with the Gastrc Bypass.Longer recovery but faster wt loss.I lost 150 lbs in 6 mos. God bless you whatever way you decide.

I think maybe you misread the post, she's not getting a lapband done.
  • lauraaaaxo
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies and useful information I shall just have to see how things go and take it slowly. Thank you for all your good wishes too:)