Calroies vs. pain of UTI (Women Only)

Options
My fiancé and I are trying to get pregnant and this has caused a few UTI's for me(you know, the honeymoon disease!)
Normally I would just chug some cranberry juice for a few days and all would be well. But now that I'm counting calories and watching my sugar intake I know it's a ton of empty calories for all that juice!

Now I'm in pain so I know I really shouldn't even be questioning it but what do you think, are the calories worth it? Or do you know any other way to get rid of a UTI without going to the doctors and getting antibiotics(a last resort as I'm allergic to most antibiotics and they don't like to give them to me unless REALLY necessary).

Replies

• Aliena
    Aliena Posts: 13
    Options
    You can get cranberry juice tablets in the UK, maybe they are available in the US too? They work wonders and at one time I took them for several months as a preventative measure because I was having the same problems regularly. I would guess they are hardly any calories.
  • Curtiss1
    Curtiss1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Go for the cranberry juice that's sugar free, or you could even try cranberry in capsules...You can usually find it in the vitamin section at any drugstore or grocery store.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You can get cranberry juice tablets in the UK, maybe they are available in the US too? They work wonders and at one time I took them for several months as a preventative measure because I was having the same problems regularly. I would guess they are hardly any calories.

I’m in Canada not the US but that's definitely worth checking out, thank you so much!
  • 90210UK
    90210UK Posts: 81
    Options
    You can get some meds from over the counter at a pharmacy. It is for cyctitus and it works almost immedietly. I am based in the UK nad use the Boots, pharmacy, own brand one but you can get other ones callede cystopurin... I always get it as I am prone to them and I always carry these disovable packs in my purse...
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    When I've gotten them in the past I would usually take AZO cranberry pills or go to a health store and buy their pills bc those are 100% cranberry. If the problem persists you definitely have to get some antibiotics to help clear it up. I wish they would make over the counter meds so it wouldnt waste a trip and money to the doctors. Hope you feel better:flowerforyou:
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    you can get cranberry pills and also an over the counter pain med specifically for UTI... it is over by the feminine hygiene, yeast infection meds... or just ask pharmacisist... I get them a lot and now take the cranberry every morning and carry the pain pills with me everywhere I go... and of course DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!:drinker:

Hope this helps!!!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I am soooo sorry. Those are the worst. I have never heard of a UTI getting better without antibiotics. I actually have heard the sugar from the cranberry juice can hurt the situation, and that water is the best option. Drink lots and lots of water. AZO has cranberry tablets.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I would at least have 1 glass of cranberry juice a day. The pills are fine and well, but drink the juice at least once daily. Also, there are some things you can do to help prevent the UTIs that won't harm your baby-making attempts :)
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    can you get lo-cal cranberry juice? no added sugar. Drink lots of water and there are little satchets you can get from the chemist too. Not sure where you are in the world so havent put any brands in.

Lastly good luck on conceiving
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who gets this!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Look on Amazon and see if you can find the supplement called D-Mannose. It's basically a sugar that your body can't digest so it just passes straight through your urine, clinging onto bacteria as it heads out. I used to have horrible problems with UTI's, getting them fairly often. If you can find this in a store somewhere, that's all the more better!

Until you can get it, get some AZO to help manage the pain. They also have AZO cranberry pills that you can take daily to help ward off UTI's.

Edit: Also drink a TON of water. I'm talking like 1-2 gallons/day.
    Edit again: One last thing--don't drink anything BUT water. Absolutely no sodas, teas, coffees, or anything that doesn't have the ability to flush out your system as well as water.
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Just some friendly info here, but cranberry pills/juice help to prevent uti's, not cure them. I've lived a lifetime with the darn things due to a bad kidney which is now removed and i have been infection free for almost 2 yrs...