Corn on the Cob

Options
Evanstl
Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
Ok, so I hear sweet corn is really bad for you but when I looked it up in the data base it was only 80 calories. So, I need some advice from all you out there that are MFP pros and know more than I do on this topic. Let me hear it. Thanks!

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Bad for you? It's corn. If being high carb = bad, then yes, it's bad. If you slather it with butter and salt, it's moderately bad. Enjoy your corn.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Because it is high in carbs and sugar, I don't eat it anymore. But if you have the numbers in your goals and you really want it, go for it.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    Corn on the cob is healthy but the key is moderation. Corn contains more sugar than other vegetables so it can be thought to be bad. It is also harder to digest so that can also add to the confusion but it does contain alot of fiber which is good. Where corn can also be unhealthy for dieters is when people add butter and salt to it.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    Everything in moderation!
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You will get mixed answers on this question from this sight.... I think you can find someone on here who will tell you that anything is bad for you. I love corn on the cob in the summer and although you can't load up on it like you could cucumbers or spinach or broccoli... its not that bad. If you have room in your calories, enjoy it :o) I never tend to go over on carbs, always on sugar. Not by a ton, but so consistently that I gave up tracking it. oh well.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's corn.. It's a vegetable... It won't kill you.

I'm eating it tonight for my supper but instead of using actual butter, I'm using smart balance buttery spread.. that way I still get my butter but for a fraction of the calories and fat.
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    i LOVE corn on othe cob! Sweet corn's gonna be awesome around here soon too so bring it on! I use I can'r believe it's not butter spray butter on it and it's yummy!!
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love cord on the cob; especially grilled.

Let's face it, there are huge spectrum of foods we can eat, some are at the extreme ends of good and bad. For example, there are sugars in corn, but compared to another food, let's say a jelly filled donut. Then corn on the cob is way healthier. Okay, I admit that's extreme and a bit snarky.
    However, corn on the cob compare to a can of cream corn is a whole lot healthier. I find it is a lot about perspective.

For me, all foods are okay, as long as its consumed in moderation and correct portions. I still eat corn, pizza and yes, donuts. However, my diet is better and healthier than it was six months ago. (Admit that eating a donut is much more rare, and nowadays its only one or two donuts, not a half a dozen. When i do eat a donut, its usually on a day where I will burn a ton of calories.)

Just saying that this works for me, because I do not feel like I've given up on foods that I enjoy...and I do enjoy a good corn on the cob. So, no need to deny yourself of a corn on the cob, because its less healthier than squash or broccoli.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    Corn is a starch. So just be careful how much you eat. i could eat 12 cobs a day with tons of butter salt and pepper! lol.. But I only try to eat it once a week or so.. Bc I do love it so much I dont wanna completely kick it out of my diet, but i'm shooting for lowering my carb intake and my sugar intake so I try not to eat as much anymore.. which stinks.. but it's like with anything.. moderation is the key.. dont over do it on anything..
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob is not bad for you. It has more sugar than a lot of vegetables, but the glycemic load is moderate at 17, about the same as brown rice or sweet potatoes.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It's not like you are getting all that much corn from one cob anyways. It has to be somewhere around 1/3 of a cup if you were to cut it off the cob.
  • joniwarren
    joniwarren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love corn and once you count your calories then all is well. Try it covered in Philadelphia extra light, franks hot sauce, lime juice and salt. It feels like you've just eaten something so naughty. It's amazing and low in calories.