Wii Fit question - from a complete idiot !

Options
CARNAT22
CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
Hope someone can help?

I hate working out, simple as that... the losing weight part is fine but the getting fit part is a nightmare!

I am contemplating getting a Wii Fit... I just wondered if other people have found it useful?

I am a complete novice but as I understand you buy the actual Wii and then you can buy various work outs to us on the wii?

Sorry to be a complete fool but I don't know anyone that has one.

I guess what I need to know is if they are worth the money and if people have actually found them useful tool to weightloss?

Thanks

Replies

• sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    yes there worth is we love our wii and the wii fit the games are soo fun.
  • adamtwd88
    adamtwd88 Posts: 49
    Options
    you can get the wii, and for wii fit you need to buy the wii board too. then there a hundreds of fitness games you can buy, im looking into getting myself UFC trainer when it comes out! so i need wii fit too.

ive been getting back on the wii lately though, just doing wii sports, so boxing, bowling, tennis etc. but i think it does help! aswell as going to the gym, its a nice "inbetween" work out! lol

hope this helps :) x
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I found it fun but not really useful for weight loss. I think I have gotton more benefit out of just buying a couple workout DVD's, a set of handweights and a stability ball. All for a total of about $50.

Nice job with trying to get started.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of fun! Like was said, there are a lot of exercise games out there now that you can buy. I love the Biggest Loser one! It's a great way to get things going
  • presea
    presea Posts: 3
    Options
    I own one, whilst it's good fun at first, it does get a little repetitive! I suggest buying a variety of workout games, or, as I did, buy some hand weights and encorporate those in your Wii Fit workout when you start to get bored!

As far as results go, I did notice my body started to become much more toned, but I didn't keep it up long enough to actually get any major weight loss out of it.

My advice would be to buy it off of eBay rather than in expensive stores!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I like WII fit but personally nothing beats an actual work out. Not really sure workout DVDs do it ( not for me anyway). If you wanna loose weight ya gotta put in the work maybe couple it with a run and weights?
  • busymamaof4
    busymamaof4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love the Wii. Wii Fit Plus helpd me lose weight when I first started and was fun! I also have the EA sports active 2, it is a little more vigorous in my opinion.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

I am so bad with working out that I really need to make a commitment but I just cannot face joining a gym...

I walk daily, and intended to incorporate a 30 min cardio workout in 4 days per week. The work-out is from a DVD but I have done it so much over the years I know the routine by heart LOL!

I have very long days and very litle free time so i need to find some kind of exercise that is fun but can be done at home.

I don't have much weight to lose but I relaly need to tone up ...
  • shadowstar240
    Options
    I love the Just Dance games for the Wii. Personally, I feel like I've had much more of a workout from them than with the wii fit but both have been useful. I can trick myself into thinking that I'm playing a game rather than working out and I don't get bored!
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii fit plus and it is really good, I prefer it more for the stretching/toning workouts as the aerobic section is quite gentle and you don't really work up a sweat, but ideal gentle exercise if you are new to it.

The games are great too and a good way to burn a few calories whilst having fun.

It is good for logging weight / bmi results too

Make sure you get the Wii fit plus and not just the wii fit as you will then get extra workouts and games.

It is very easy to follow and set up.
  • bettyjune
    bettyjune Posts: 4
    Options
    For me the Wii Fit has been FANTASTIC!! You have to buy the Wii and the Balance Board. The Wii Fit Plus disc comes with the balance board. You can buy other workout discs like Biggest loser and Zumba to change things up. I have been using the Wii Fit since last July and it has helped me to lose more than 50 pounds!! I used to be an exercise hater, but I have finally found something I really enjoy! I have NEVER stuck with any workout routine of any kind for this long before. In a couple of weeks, I will have been using the Wii Fit for a year. I am so excited for the day \I get on it and it tells me "This is your 365th Day!" This is a monumental accomplishment for me!! I have worked up to the point that I burn at least 400 calories per workout before I go off to work forthe day. The workouts I use on it the most are: Advanced Step, Rythym Boxing and the Free Run or Island Lap. I get my biggest calorie burn from these things.
    I hope the Wii Fit works for you too! Good Luck in your quest to become a healthier, more fit you!
  • Ready4Changes
    Options
    I had a wiifit and got tired of the controllers. I just bought a kinect and like it alot better.
  • ShinySpork
    ShinySpork Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You could consider a 360 with kinect. I can't personally vouch for it, as I only hear the happy stories from my friend, but the nice thing about that is you don't have to stay on a board.

But to think outside the box, maybe you could take dance or martial arts. That would offer exercise, help you connect with new people, and develop a new skill...if that's in line with your goals, of course.
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I purchased Wii Active, I love it. I am not using it currently but it has played a big part in my getting healthier and more fit.
  • TinieeTee
    TinieeTee Posts: 17
    Options
    Netflix has some options..
  • rob_kurtz
    rob_kurtz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't have Wii Fit, but I have EA Sports Active, EA Sports Active : More Workouts and EA Sports Active 2. It does get a little repetitive, but I do like the workouts. On EA Sports Active 2, they finally have it worked out to where you can incorporate weights into your workouts instead of using the resistance band that comes with it. The resistance band isn't made well at all. I ripped mine several times. To sum it up, I recommend EA Sports Active 2, with some weights. You can pick up EA Sports Active 2 now for about $40. Well worth it.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love my wii I've got quite a few games as i get bored easily. It is great. I have never been a gym person. This way whenever i find myself with even 15 min to spare
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I love the Wii -- especially Wii Fit / Fit Plus and Zumba. I have EA Sports, and Just Dance, but don't like those as much, as I can't seem to get the system to respond to my movements (frustrating).

The Wii Fit was a great way for me to start back into the exercise routine, as I was a total couch potato and hated to exercise. It gradually got me back into a routine. You will eventually "graduate" into harder workouts, but I found it a great way to start and stay motivated. It was definitely worth the investment for me.
  • CarolineT82
    Options
    I have Wii Fit Plus. It's very good - although I find that I don't use it as much as I should. I'm not sure how accurate it is either - I did the free running one but ran on my treadmill - the two calorie counts I had were very different.

Maybe see if you could borrow one from a friend before shelling out for one to see whether you will use it?
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Great question, sounds like you're doing research before you buy. That's a lot better than buying something you may not use at all.

I'm curious, are there stores where you can rent a Wii game console? That way you can try before you buy.

Also, I can definitely relate to "working out"; sounds like too much "work" and not enough fun, and for me it never sticks. Its way too boring.
    However, I knew I had to get off the sofa and increase my activity level. So, I found activities that I enjoy and even love doing. Mostly I play tennis and have gotten involved with several leagues. (Being on a team helps me more than just hitting with friends, it socially commits me.)

There loads of activities you can explore that don't necessarily require "work." Some hobbies definitely increase your physical activity (e.g. dancing, hiking, outdoor photography, etc.)

FYI, we have a Wii Console and at first my wife got into the exercise stuff with the Wii Fit Board. However, it was short lived and I never really got into it.