I NEED URGENT HELP !!

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    When u mean burn, is that like the calories you lose will doing exercise? Sorry I'm really really confused
    Burn more calories than you eat= calorie deficit.
    The 'burn more calories' is your Bmr (calories your body burns just by existing which includes body functions, sleep, etc), general activities (household chores, movement, walking from room to room, any movement other than exercise) plus exercise calories. This is what is called TDEE or total daily energy expenditure. To lose weight, you must eat below your TDEE to create a deficit...eg, if your daily averageTDEE is 2200 and you eat 1700, you've created a 500 calorie daily deficit. In a week, you'd technically lose 1lb (but weight loss isn't linear, so sometimes you'd lose less/more or stay the same) since 500x7=3500.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Please read the sticky posts at the top of this forum. They're the best and most informative posts on MFP. They will answer all the basic questions youve been asking. You clearly need to become better educated about this process. Once you understand the basics, it will all make sense!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Grab your forearm. Is it warm? You are burning calories. There is a base burn rate especially for you based on how big you are. You must eat less than your burn rate to lose weight. You lose your argument with your family.
  • honeyseymour123
    honeyseymour123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This cannot be real.

It is real I'm just not smart lol
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    When people say "burn more calories than you consume" they mean your active and basal metabolic rate combined. You burn calories just by living. I could see the confusion if you think they mean burning more calories through exercise than you consume. That wouldn't be healthy!
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have an idea--Follow the MFP formula and don't worry what anyone says to you. If you follow the formula and stick with it, you will likely lose weight. Most of us do. If you don't lose weight after a month, worry about that other stuff then.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    This cannot be real.

:s
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Once your body burns up the food calories it starts consuming your fat reserves for fuel. Think of your body like a furnace. It has to get the fuel and nutrients somewhere. But you don't die as soon as you run out of food. You can live off of body fat reserves as well. You want to eat less food than you burn so that you can slowly metabolize the stored body fat.
  • ianecock
    ianecock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ianecock wrote: »
    OK, I've seen everyone post "if you burn more than you eat you lose weight". I'm at the point where I'm not losing any weight, I'm gaining. I've been on a 14-1500 calorie diet for two weeks and I've lost about 15 pounds. I stepped on the scale two days ago and was at 223.4, today I was at 225.5. I work out at least two times a day burning around 4-5000 cals a day (all burn including sedentary burn). What am I doing wrong? If you are supposed to burn more than you eat to lose weight, why am I gaining? How do I get over that hump?? I'm on a time restricted weight loss plan too. I need to lose ten pound in about 10 days..

Nobody is going to recommend an unhealthy weight loss rate for you. Re-evaluate what you think you "need".

I know it's not healthy or wise, but I just got laid off and in order to get another job I need to be at 215 pounds. Right now the end game is weight loss any way possible. I've got about 14 days to get down to 215 pounds or I don't have a job.
  • ianecock
    Options

Ditto what @CurlyCockney said. No one is going to tell you how to do something so unreasonable and unhealthy.

But, just out of curiosity....what happens if you don't lose the weight in 10 days? [/quote]

Yes, I realize that it not healthy and I do not recommend that anyone take such drastic measures but my situation is dire. I was recently laid off and need to be at 215 pounds to get hired on with a comparable job. Right now the focus is weight loss and getting a job.
  • ianecock
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    OK, I've seen everyone post "if you burn more than you eat you lose weight". I'm at the point where I'm not losing any weight, I'm gaining. I've been on a 14-1500 calorie diet for two weeks and I've lost about 15 pounds. I stepped on the scale two days ago and was at 223.4, today I was at 225.5. I work out at least two times a day burning around 4-5000 cals a day (all burn including sedentary burn). What am I doing wrong? If you are supposed to burn more than you eat to lose weight, why am I gaining? How do I get over that hump?? I'm on a time restricted weight loss plan too. I need to lose ten pound in about 10 days..

Your weight will naturally fluctuate daily. You really have more of a "weight range" than one true weight. You could have had a high sodium day , or your muscles could be retaining more water to help repair themselves or you could even just may be storing more waste material than the other day. Also, did you weigh yourself at the same time of day? I can gain about 5 lbs. from my morning weigh in to a weigh in in the evening - on the same day.

Some other things to consider:
    * Are you weighing your food to make sure you are really eating only 1400 - 1500 calories a day? Even using measuring cups in not completely accurate.
    * How are you getting your burned calories? My husband works a very active job (he gets 30K steps during his 9 hour shift along with heavy lifting, plus he works out 6x week for 60 minutes (at 200lbs) and he burns an average of 4K.
    * You have only been dieting for 2 weeks - that is not enough time to have a "hump". Most of the 15 pounds you have lost so far will be water weight.

* yes I am weighing my food, looking up the nutritional values online and using the most conservative numbers.
    * I am exercising twice daily at least an hour each time (sometimes 3x a day). Generally I burn closer to 4k but I will get close to 5 every few days..
  • ianecock
    Options

That's not sustainable or healthy. I was losing 2 pounds a week for a while and honestly, that was probably too much. I was at 270 and dropped down to 195. It took me about 8-9 months to do. I'm at around 205 now almost 2 years later. I feel that because I took my time, I'm more likely to keep it off and maintain it. Quick fixes or fast tracks usually don't go well. Just my 2 cents.

Yes I agree not healthy or sustainable but my end game is 215 so I can get hired for a job.. Once I get to 215 and get hired I will assume a more normal/sustainable routine, but I need to get income coming in. I was just laid off, that is the reason I'm taking such drastic measures.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    @ianecock the only way you are going to lose 10lbs in 10 days(from a previous reply) is to lose water weight. you may be able to do that with low carb but you wont lose fat that fast.if you are gaining weight something is off, or you are retaining water and glycogen from working out a lot(your body will retain water to repair muscles),weight also fluctuates day to day,hr to hr. so it could just be a fluctuation,the more you exercise the more you need to fuel your body as well or you risk losing lean muscle which is hard to build again.what type of job expects you to be a certain weight?(besides the military)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Athletes like wrestlers and boxers who are divided into weight classes have tricks for swiftly losing a lot of body weight (mostly water, as well as stuff in the digestive tract) before their official weigh-in. It's not sustainable, and potentially dangerous because it involves serious dehydration, but it can be done. I would advise against it, though.