Tasty Salads

Options
Jacs77
Jacs77 Posts: 6 Member
:flowerforyou:

Has anyone got any interesting salad recipes? The weather has been so hot that I've not wanted to eat cooked meals but get board of the same old salads!

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I like to grill up a bunch of chicken in the beginning of the week, usually with a little lime juice for taste. I then add it to a salad all week with black beans, part skim mozzerella cheese, a couple of olives, and some crunchy fiesta strips on top. I either add just a little (like 1/3 teaspoon) of greek dressing or sometimes just salsa. Yummy!
  • BolsaDePiojo
    Options
    I do a salsa salad. I put in lettuce, salsa and a little bit of fat free ranch dressing, maybe a little jalapenos. Salsa is good for you and low in calories. It sound a little strange, but it's yummy and different :)
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    im ALL about taco salad without the shell. no need for dressing either just a little salsa and some taco meat
  • xxrainxx
    xxrainxx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I felt the same last night so in a bowl i mixed Tuna, low fat mayo, sweetcorn, cucumeber and onion then i put them on a plate seperated into 3 pieces and put grated cheese on top then i put this under the grill untill the cheese was melted and i put each piece onto a big crisp lettuce leave and ate it like a wrap it was FAB so tasty and only like 280 cals :o)
  • nurseheather13
    Options
    Mmmmmmm.....I'm gonna try that! Thanks for sharing!!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    heres one from Jillian Michaels

Raspberry, Avocado, and Mango Salad
    Ingredients
    • 1 1/2 cups organic raspberries, divided
    • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    • 1 clove fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
    • 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
    • 1/8 teaspoon black ground pepper
    • 8 cups organic mixed salad greens
    • 1 ripe organic mango, diced
    • 1 small ripe avocado, diced
    • 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
    • 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped, or sliced almonds (optional)
    Preparation
    Puree 1/2 cup raspberries, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a blender until combined.
    Combine greens, mango, avocado and onion in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently toss to coat.
    Divide the salad among 5 salad plates. Top each with the remaining raspberries and sprinkle with nuts, if using.
    Prep Time: 15 mins
    Total Time: 15 mins
    Nutrition Facts
    Number of Servings: 5
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 215
    Total Fat: 16 g
    Saturated Fat: 2 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Sodium: 122 mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 18 g
    Dietary Fiber: 7 g
    Protein: 3 g
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Last night I topped my salad with 3oz. large shrimp, 1/4 avocado and 1/2 oz crushed peanuts....yum.
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Courgette (zucchini) ribbon salad- 2 ways!

Slice a courgette (Zucchini) into ribbons using a vegetable peeler or mandolin. Add some finely chopped red onion slices and add either of these dressings:

Italian- 1/2 chopped red chilli pepper, small handful chopped fresh basil leaves, 1 tbsp EVOO, 1 tbsp lemon juice, Black pepper, 1 tbsp white wine vinegar. Top with freshly shaved parmesan cheese.

Thai/vietnamese- 1 chopped red chilli pepper, 1 tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp EVOO, small handful chopped fresh coriander (cilantro), 1 tbsp white wine/ rice wine vinegar. Sprinkle with crushed roasted peanuts.

The courgette in this is raw, but tastes amazing!
  • nunki
    nunki Posts: 5
    Options
    I added an idea for you. Hope its useful to you. :happy:

This recipe is from the food network. I liked it. Its something different.
    2 cups diced pears
    2 cups diced English cucumber
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (preferably aged)
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    Salt and pepper
    4 ounces Romano
    Romaine lettuce

Dice pear, and cucumber, add vinegar, and evoo, toss with parsley, salt/pepper, shred the Romaine into ribbon strips, Toss in Cheese. This salad does not keep well due to the pears.... so eat it soon.

SERVES 4
    Total: 1020 59 66 51
    Per Serving: 255 15 17 13
  • Jacs77
    Jacs77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    These sound yummy........ I love tuna melt so the tuna one is right up my street! Thanks
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I got one from a restaurant that I'm dying to have again!! It was mixed baby greens, pecans, goat cheese, strawberries and balsamic dressing. SO GOOD!! :)
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    bump
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    My favourite is any salad leaves (I prefer baby spinach leaves and rocket) with half a pomegranate, and pieces of grilled halloumi, and any extras you might like to add. Sometimes I add a dressing of balsamic vinegar, or sweet red pepper sauce or just lime juice.

I also really like chicken breast with mandarin pieces (I prefer the tinned type) small raw broccoli florets and seeds or nuts sprinkled on. Sesame seeds are the best.

Any fish, salmon/tuna/crabmeat with piles of capers olives and jalapenos.

I had a superfood salad from Wetherspoons a couple of weeks ago that had raw butternut squash in ribbons on which I thought was a great idea. I'm not a fan of cooked butternut squash really, I find it too sweet but it has a very mild taste raw and just adds colour and texture. I also like raw beetroot in salad.

eta: I also like to use raw baby corn, grated carrot, and grated courgette)
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    I went to my local farmer's market last week and bought a big bunch of spinach ($1) 3 beets ($1.50) and 4 onions ($1.50)
    I roasted the beets at 350 degrees for about 35 mins. While they were roasting a grilled 3 chicken breasts. I also added some baby carrots and an orange bell pepper I had in my fridge. I chopped up everything and put it in a salad and topped it with feta cheese. I've been eating it all week with a little red wine vinegar on top. The flavors are so good together that you don't need more dressing than that !

Very healthy and cheap!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wife found a Fantastic Recipe.

Shred a chicken breast (or from a can)
    Cube up 1 Apple
    Cube up Celery
    Cube up some Onion
    Couple tablespoons sliced Almonds
    2 Tablespoons Coleslaw dressing
    2 Tablespoons Craisens or Raisens (optional)

Serves 2, and the calories are very low; tastes great. Either by itself, or as a sandwhich filler.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    My wife made me the most amazing salad last week.

Mixed Greens
    Strawberries
    Feta Cheese
    Red Onion
    Tomatoes

She made the dressing by mixing raspberry preserves with balsmic vinegar & adding salt and pepper.

Man, it was good!

I grilled some Mahi Mahi to have with it. Easy Fantastic dinner.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bumping, always looking for new salad ideas. I really do NOT like iceberg lettuce , other lettuces are just ok but I prefer salads without lettuce to be honest. some tasty ideas here!
  • nunki
    Options
    Here is another for you...hope you don't mind.

Omi's Cucumber Salad

Whole Cucumber Peeled - (Medium, 6-7"),
    Generic - Shallots (1 oz=28g)
    Just Garlic - 97% Pure and Natural Crushed Garlic, ( use the pre-crushed stuff from the jar)
    Dannan - Greek Yogart- Plain, No Fat, 5.3 oz.
    Generic - Kosher Salt, 1/4 tsp
    Almond Accents - Cracked Black Pepper

Slice Cucumber and Shallot. Add Garlic, I would begin with 1 tsp. But adjust it to your own taste. Add Yogurt (it does not need to be Greek, but I think Greek is better) Add Salt n Pepper (whatever is on hand). Mix, chill.
    Divide it into 4 servings

approx. stats Calories43,Carbs5, Fats1, Protein

It is a middle eastern style salad
  • nunki
    Options
    ok, 1 more....

Mediterranean Tuna Salad (2 Sandwiches)

5 oz canned tuna
    ½ small red onion , minced
    ¼ cups parsley , minced
    ¾ cups greek olives , sliced
    1 can artichoke hearts , drained and quartered
    ¼ cups basil , minced
    2 cloves of garlic , minced
    1 tsp dry/fresh oregano
    salt , to taste
    fresh ground pepper , to taste
    3 tbsp lemon juice

Step 1:
    In a large bowl combine tuna, red onion, parsley, greek olives, artichoke hearts, fresh basil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, and squeeze with fresh lemon juice.

Step 2:
    Mix and Make the sandwich (Crusty bread hold better than reg. sliced) and wrap it in platic wrap for about an hour. This allows the flavors to combine.

Calories 371, Carbs 44,Fats 15, Protein 30 (per serving) If you can afford these counts, go for it. Lots of healthy stuff.

Recipe Video http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-mediterranean-tuna-salad-2