Low Carb Vegetarian Atkins

Options
MiNiMoNkI
MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
I have just purchased myself the book "The Vegetarian Low-carb Diet Cookbook Book | Rose Elliot" really looking ofrward to this, seen as the atkins diet works well for so many people, but clearly this option should be much healthier for your body. Anyone else tried it?

Replies

• Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I haven't, but I imagine it being difficult. The big premise of the Atkin's diet was that you eat the fat and meat while limiting the carbs to put your body into Ketosis, which causes your body to start burning fat instead of carbohydrates. I don't know how that will work under a vegetarian ideal though. Is it completely vegetarian or are you allowed/will eat fish? Could you give an example of a type of, say, lunch meal? Also what is the carb limit and the protein minimum?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it, but I'm having a difficult time imagining how a vegetarian can go "low-carb".
  • bebe3232
    bebe3232 Posts: 43
    Options
    I am interested in reading this book I try to do vegetarian low carb myself and it is difficult I wonder if this book would help.
  • Mjanegranger
    Mjanegranger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been successful loosing weight on the "Atkins Diet" I try to make it healthy by eating chicken and fish and limit the red meat and cheese and fattening dressings. I think it is the elimination of the sugars that cause the weight loss. Good luck to you on your weight loss.
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    if anyone is interested i found this thread, very helpful

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/664048-vegetarian-lowcarb-another-round.html

she makes some interesting points too
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That's pretty interesting. Thanks for the link :) I never would have considered the ability to safely do Atkin's as a vegetarian. Best of luck!
  • luvs2pugs
    luvs2pugs Posts: 52
    Options
    I just ordered the same book today. Did you have any success? Was the book any good?
  • cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Do you mind if I ask where you're from? I've been wanting to read that book and I heard that it's hard to find in the US!