Intimidated being a woman in a male dominated gym

Options
When I go to the gym I am fine when I am doing cardio but I always get so intimidated seeing all these massive in shape guys using all the free weights. I have even skipped certain exercises because I didn't want to go near them. Do any of you ladies experience this? I am thinking of joining a women's gym if they have good equipment. I know I just look like such a newb in there, since I'm new to weight lifting..

Replies

• smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I didn't go into weight room as I was clueless , got myself and trainer and got over it, shouldn't worry about guys , you can do weights too everyone is there to exercise , go in with a plan and do you thing
  • ElenaYan
    ElenaYan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Omg I feel the exact same way. The weight room is filled with men and it's so intimidating to even step in. I guess it makes sense when I'm utilizing a gym on a naval base...can you blame me it's free?
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    When I started with a trainer it was at an independent gritty old school Rocky type gym, and I got over real quick any hangups I had. No one cares why you're there or what you look like, they are there for their work out. Don't worry and don't over think, focus on you.
  • trollerskates
    trollerskates Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Im a man and im intimidated by anyone in better shape than me in a way, i also admire all the work that went in to get them there. Cause thats where im going.
  • melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to go all the time. I thought it was uncomfortable but once they see you really working out and not hanging out I think it gets easier. The hardest part is getting started. Go in with a plan like back and chest or legs and arms. stay focused, bring some headphones, and get pumped!
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The guys really don't care. Also, if one tries to help you, don't assume he is just hitting on you.

Love this. So true.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    GET OVER IT! If you're going to constantly let your self worth be defined by how comfortable you are in a situation you're never going to be successful at anything. The best things in life don't happen in your comfort zone. Being fat and unhealthy is comfortable, getting results is not.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    People are nice, and I still feel intimidated by the weight room, and not only by the men.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Actually, the muscle fellas are nice guys. The weirdos hang out in the weight machine sections, not the free weights.

Free weights is hard work, not for posers. And these guys really work hard and they are actually polite to one another. I know because I spend most time in the free weights area and people just help each other.

You should just go in and do your routines.
    So damn true , as long as you aren't taking these space :smiley: love the weight room is a really a second home , just put your weights away and work hard you'll be accepted pretty fast
  • jwaggoner486
    jwaggoner486 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hire a trainer to teach you about free weights. Once you have a set list you want to accomplish, you'll be focused on your goals, not what other people may or may not be thinking. I love using weights and think it is so ridiculous that when I was in middle and high school, the girls went to learn aerobics while the guys did weights! If you learn moves which include cross body complex motion and balance, you'll be better than most of the guys (lots of them focus on just isolations). I do a lot of weight lifting while balanced on a bosu or ball; it takes practice, but increases the heart rate and use of your core. Skip the benches, once you are familiar with the moves and know the right weight for you.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    You honestly just have to get over it. The gym I go to is filled with young guys who are strong af, but I just march in there like I belong. I've never had any problems. Everyone is just doing their own thing. Now I love the free weight area and stare at it longingly on my cardio days. Lol.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I am the only girl in the free weights section the majority of the time. Every time I am starting at a new gym, I feel a bit insecure about it, but soon the guys you workout next to each day get pretty used to having you there and even offer to let you work in, help you find a missing set of Dumbbells, or give you crap for missing a few days. I think people build it up in their heads, but it isn't a big deal. Go in that weight area and kill it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    As a person, I walk in, do 15 min warm up on the rowing machine, see how busy the weight area is and plan my schedule accordingly.
    It can be a free weight, or a mix of machine and hand weights workout. What is important is I achieve what I came to achieve.
    No intimidation, no fear or trepidation, just *kitten* the situation and accomplish my work out.

I squat the bar, dead lift my weight, on a good day, I am small, old, and a woman. That is not an excuse it is who I am and I take my place in the weight room just like any 6'4 ripped guy.

Intimidation is a mind game, pulling up your big girls knickers, walking in with a purpose, and feeling chuffed that you can lift to your max is amazing.

Cheers, the little old woman could, h.
  • lior6
    lior6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's really just in your mind. From my experience most of these big guys are really nice and just there to have fun and workout. They won't shout at you, or harm you in any way, I've also learned a lot from them and got some help.
    You might feel a bit uncomfortable at first, but you would get used to everyone fast.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Don't even worry about it, everyone had to be the "new" person at one point. Eventually you will start to see the same people over and over, so you will start to get aquainted, even if it is just saying hello or nodding your head. Also, take advantage of it. If you have a question or need help, ask them. Just don't do it in the middle of a set lol.