Looking for people working out at home

Options
vivekg16
vivekg16 Posts: 3 Member
Hey I've been on myfitnesspal multiple times but I never really found long term success. So I'm going to change things up and try doing something different...instead of paying for a gym membership to workout tediously everyday in front of strangers with perfect bodies, I fig I'd start working out at home. It's gonna require a lot of motivation and self drive but I wanna try to exercise whenever, wherever I feel like it (hopefully thats often).

Anyone else work out at home? How successful have you been? Any tips?

Add me so I can get some motivational help and learn more about how to do this better!

Replies

• Arwen1218
    Arwen1218 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi... This is my second time in MFP and I'm choosing to work out at home as well. I wasn't successful at all the first time I did this but this time I'm so much more motivated and my kids are very supportive. I have started out walking, doing calisthenics and stretching. I also recently purchased a used stationary bike. So my routine is that I walk to the park with my little one everyday in the morning ( unless the weather is bad). I also ride my bike everyday am for an episode on Netflix (45 min) while I watch tv... Every other day I stretch and do calisthenics. So I basically do some form of activity everyday.

All I can really tell you is that my reasons for wanting to better myself are very strong and motivating for me. Support from my family keeps me going most of the time. I do give in sometimes and snack late at night or eat above my calories but I always make sure to do some sort of activity the next day. It's hard to stay on track but knowing that I paid money for a piece of equipment makes me want to use it lol! Overall I have found working out at home to be a great way to get into the habit before joining a gym.
  • Jacob86r
    Jacob86r Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and prefer it to the gym. My wife and I have trouble going together to the gym for lack of babysitter and trips to dropping them off and picking them up. It becomes a hassle. So we decided to use some equipment that we have bought through out the years that has grown dusty for lack of use. We have found some strong motivation this time around, and have stayed consistent. We have in our basement : a punching bag (highly recommend), a treadmill, an exercise bike, a bench with weights, some dumbells and a used home gym system we bought for 100 bucks . We have a computer in an open space and we use it for aerobics videos from YouTube. Looking to add an elliptical and that would be it for space. We have are cardio equipment and strength which gives us a pretty good workout. Any questions feel free to ask.

Last bit: I'm not a treadmill loving guy, so for my cardio I do about 20 min. Of cardio, 20 minutes of treadmill and 20 minutes at the punching bag. I will burn about 800 to 1200 calories in that session right there, without the boredom of staring on the treadmill for an hour.
  • vivekg16
    vivekg16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thats pretty good advice. Thanks! Im just try few things early on like walking outside in the morning, yoga, strength training using bodyweight, resistance bands and TRX. Let's see how that works initially.

PS I wish I could use the treadmill I had at home but I feel really old and too small for me. Its like 15 years old lol. Plus I hate treadmills too