Protein Powder for Non Body Builders?

Options
srecupid
srecupid Posts: 660 Member
I am trying to get overall healthier and save money at same time. I can get a month and a half supply of protein powder for like $25 and it has about as much fiber as metamucil and 25% of iron which I usually fall short on. Is there any real downside to doing this over eating a chicken breast or something? If I str it in some almond milk I've hit half my calcium goal too

Replies

• angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Not really... in my opinion.

I too drink protein powders ... not all the time ... but through out the week. Especially when I'm lacking in protein.

However, with that said, it takes a lot longer for your stomach to break down chicken, veggies etc over a protein shake. Therefore, when ppl DRINK their meals, they often complain of being hungry sooner than later.

I also think that people mistaken drinking protein shakes as being "healthier" ... not necessarily so.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nope, it's totally fine. You can blend some with a banana, milk and peanut butter and have a decent drinkable meal for example. Or with cocoa, honey and avocado as another idea. Just don't over rely on liquid meals.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    no, it's just food. Just like chicken.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    The thing that most people look for in protein powders is how much protein grams per serving and source. Doesn't matter if it's drank by a bodybuilder or a regular person, it's broken down the same way. Choose what you like.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder everyday. I'm not a body builder, I don't lift weights at all.
    I drink them because I love the taste and it helps me get enough protein.
  • ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    A short-hand way to tell a good brand is how well it mixes. A good brand will mix easily.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sure you can do that. Casein absorbs slowly and keeps you full longer. Its great for overnight fasting. Casein is also traditionally cheaper and richer tasting than whey. Whey and hydrodized whey are great for after workout.

Save money but do not put garbage in yout body. Avoid cheap fillers and cheap protein. If you are trying to save some $ by drinking shakes, just remember to get a solid protein instead of buying food.