Constipation (need help)

Options
I haven't been on a "diet" in a few years. I started back this Monday, just eating healthier, nothing fancy, and limiting calories/fat/carbs, etc. By Wednesday I was having a hard time going to the bathroom. Since Thursday I have been loading up on fiber and now the problem is getting worse. In addition to rarely going to the bathroom now I am having severe bloating, and am passing a ton of gas. In addition to the fiber increase the last three days as I have since Monday I am drinking a lot of water and exercising which I read is good for this.

Anyway, not sure what to do from here. This has really never been an issue for me at all and considering my bests efforts the last three days making this even worse I am super super frustrated and it's making the attitude toward getting "healthier" and eating right to lose some weight less enthusiastic.

Thanks for any advice or help with this.

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Miralax. Seriously. You've got the water and fiber covered.

If no success with Miralax, call your doctor.
  • TimothyPhoenix
    TimothyPhoenix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

I will try this, thanks.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Too much fiber too fast can cause this effect..you want to increase your fiber slowly.

Natural ways to beat constipation are best if you can..ground flax seed, chia seeds, unsweetened apple sauce. Perhaps give it a try before you go for the over the counter medications. Natural is always the best to try first. Good luck :)@TimothyPhoenix
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    After looking at your food diary, I would say maybe less junk food and maybe more fruits and veggies might help. I know dieting is hard but you really need more good for you food, especially when you are cutting calories. I see a lot of white bread products and fake cheese. Replace those with whole grains and real cheese. Not sure what your food looked like before, but I would not call what you are eating healthier. You need to make what calories you are eating count! Not saying you can't eat junk but it shouldn't be the bulk of your diet every day. If you eat more protein and fruits and veggies you will feel a lot better all around.
  • zugunruhey
    zugunruhey Posts: 31 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Seconding Miralax, when I've had to take medications that constipate me Miralax was a godsend. It's cheap and over the counter, never gave me diarrhea, and even in water you can barely taste it. If you're not having any bowel movements at all after a few days be sure to call your doctor, you don't want to have an impacted bowel go unnoticed.
  • amarie210
    amarie210 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with Miralax. I have also found that a cup of coffee helps. Apple juice has always been recommended for my daughter and seems to help her.
  • paganvegan
    paganvegan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i try prune juice when i have this problem
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating more whole plant foods into your diet. Have more fruit, eat vegetables & stuff like potatoes with the skin on, brown rice, quinoa...
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    As a mathematician would say... work it out with a pencil.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Fiber can actually sometimes make constipation worse. My doctor recommended a stool softener, and said it was safe enough to use every day, as all it does is move water into the colon and make it easier to pass.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    less dairy, more flax and/or a magnesium supplement
  • melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Also came to add, if you're going too low-fat, this could happen.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Increase fats and oils: full fat salad dressing, butter, avocado, salmon, tuna, mayo.
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have also had this problem. Been eating clean for over 4 months now and the only thing that has helped me is taking a stool softner everyday. Stool softners are not laxatives btw. It has made a world of difference.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

Agree 100% diet change even for healthier sometimes takes your body a little while to adapt should normal out in a week or so but in the mean time follow advice of poster above
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Pear and prunes
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Warm Prune juice, about 4 oz, in the morning. Miralax, but check with a doctor for daily use. Stool softeners. Drink water All Day Long. No caffeine--it slows down digestion. Spend a lot of time on your feet--sitting too long will make things worse. When you feel like you need to go, go. Do not wait. And use a heating pad on your abdomen. The heat draws warmth to your bowels and can help you go.

As others have said, lots of fiber can make things worse as it also slows down your digestion. (I know this sounds weird, but it is true. I have a motility disorder and have to be careful not to get too much fiber.) Try backing off of the high-fiber foods and see if you feel better. If you do, add one food at a time to your diet. Give yourself time to adjust to the new foods. And certain "healthy foods" are just not tolerated well by everyone--broccoli, beans, Brussels sprouts, cabbage--anything that produces a lot of gas. You can find a list/info on IBS websites.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Another vote for warm prune juice. My dad is undergoing chemo right now and my mom swears by it.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You have a Indian grocery store around you? Get some telephone company psylium husk.
  • TimothyPhoenix
    TimothyPhoenix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input, so frustrated by this, 36 years old and never had a problem with this. I will definitely be trying some of these suggestions.