Spiralizers

Options
Does anyone have a spiralizer?
Do you use it much and if so what do you make?
Is it worth the investment?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Oh, are you talking about for making veggie "pasta" and such? I don't have one but want one very much. I hope you get some reviews on the thread.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yep. For 4 years and bought 3 as gifts along with Ali's cookbook.

http://inspiralized.com/
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Oh, are you talking about for making veggie "pasta" and such? I don't have one but want one very much. I hope you get some reviews on the thread.

This

I wanna make zoodles badly
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00ZY7XHCW?vs=1&vs=1

Super cheap and easy to use--basically just a fancy grater.

Downside: spiralized my knuckle.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My mom got one this past christmas and has used it a couple times. Mostly for zoodles. Personally I think it's kind of silly.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I got one for christmas. Twice. Both were returned shortly thereafter, and the money was used to buy kitchen appliances that are actually useful.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Just got one 2 weeks ago and love it. Mostly to make zuchinni noodles for pasta & salads, but they're good for lots of other veggies too. I got Oxo brand because it was rated to have the sharpest blades & is very sturdy.
  • emmadonaldson95
    emmadonaldson95 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Are zoodles and the like genuinely a good substitute for pasta. Do they taste good with similar sauces?
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Spiralized my knuckle too! Learning to like zucchini in chunks or strips instead of spirals.
  • emmadonaldson95
    Options
    liznotyet wrote: »
    Spiralized my knuckle too! Learning to like zucchini in chunks or strips instead of spirals.

Ive seen a few online which have a kinda guard and handle so your hands arent near the blades would that help?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap Vegetti - once we decided we'd use it often, we jumped for a more expensive 3-blade Paderno and I use it often.

to this:
    Are zoodles and the like genuinely a good substitute for pasta. Do they taste good with similar sauces?

meh. it' s different - tasty, but I wouldn't call it a genuinely good substitute. You can't really wind them up on a fork too well, but they do taste good with an Alfredo sauce (I've never made them with a red sauce so I can't speak for that)
  • emmadonaldson95
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I have a cheap Vegetti - once we decided we'd use it often, we jumped for a more expensive 3-blade Paderno and I use it often.

meh. it' s different - tasty, but I wouldn't call it a genuinely good substitute. You can't really wind them up on a fork too well, but they do taste good with an Alfredo sauce (I've never made them with a red sauce so I can't speak for that)

That sounds like a good plan maybe ill try a cheap one and see how i go! I really like zuchini so i dont see why i wouldnt like it. Thanks :)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    We have one - We bought the one to fit our kitchenaid machine. We use it on a regular basis and have some favourite recipes on them. Apart from the fact that we ended up having more vegetables in our diets it is fun and colourful too!
  • Billie09
    Billie09 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have one. It's under my bed. I never use it. I recently bought a mandoline and use that for making beetroot crisps/chips and apple crisps etc. Finely sliced veggies for salads etc. Much happier with this.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I make zoodles with a regular old vegetable peeler because unitaskers disturb me.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    liznotyet wrote: »

Ive seen a few online which have a kinda guard and handle so your hands arent near the blades would that help?

Mine has something like that but it's only useful when you get down near the end of the zucchini and I didn't use it soon enough.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have one and I use it at least two or three times a week. I love it.

I don't think zucchini noodles are necessarily a substitute for pasta. They don't really taste the same. But they taste really, really good, and you can for sure put the same sauces on them. I had zucchini noodles with pesto and parmesan the other night and it was fantastic.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have the vegetti and I never use it anymore because it's a pain in the *kitten* to clean. I just cut my veggies in chunks. Same taste, less work.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I use it for zoodles, but only to replace half the amount of pasta or bulk up a dish. They're just not a good replacement IMO.

I wish they kept better for next day lunches... they turn your sauce into a watery mess!
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have one. I love vegetables. That said, I don't use it, because I already incorporate a lot of veggies in my meals. If I have a pasta craving, I just want pasta. Zoodles won't cut it. I have successfully made zoodles, tomato sauce, and meatballs. I have also made sweet potato noodles sauteed with crumbled sausage. Those dishes were tasty, but too low-cal to be satisfying.